venison liver....please help

RockyToggRanch

Songster
11 Years
May 22, 2008
Upstate NY
Not sure if I posted in the right place.

Slicing up a liver that's been in the fridge for 24 hours. I've done this several times before. This time was different.

My second slice and a huge stream of dark brown fluid squirted straight out at me. Definately NOT blood. After a few choice words, I poked around where the brown came from. There was a definate cavity. I pulled out 2 flat thingys, sort of leach like. After grossing out a few minutes, I rinsed them off and looked closely. Now it's getting kinda cool. They are the same, not just random pieces of deer flesh. They seem to have sort of mouth parts, I think.

Hubby said at that point "I wouldn't eat that liver if I were you."
He doesn't eat liver or heart at all. He said "put it back into the bowl and I'll go bury it." I said "No way! I'm disecting now!"

I sliced about 2/3 through and found several more of these creatures tucked into little cavities. I decided I should freeze the whole thing and let the DEC look at it.

My husband didn't shoot this deer. Some neighbors friends did, but he helped drag it out of the woods near our property. Should I call and tell them? I don't know any of them.

What could these creatures be? Should I fear for my animals? Has anyone else experienced this??

Suddenly I'm not craving bacon and liver....

Last edited:
Oh that is just gross...
sickbyc.gif
Kelly you are too smart. Yuck, yuck, yuck...
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom