Venison stock leftover veggies for chicken treat?

tess36

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2015
Central Virginia
I have about 1.5 cups of onion, carrot, and garlic cloves I have from my bone stock I've been cooking since yesterday. There is no salt added yet, just venison shank and hindquarter bones and the veggies. I'm still a little fuzzy on the definition of 'leftovers' for chickens.

The crock pot is for scale. This would be among 15 chickens. I would say six ducks also, but I can just about guarantee the chooks aren't going to share. They never do! ;) Thank you for any input.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
I feed mine to the flock. Everything edible that we don't eat goes to the birds, if the dogs don't get it first. There may not be a ton of nutrients left in the veggies, but there will be some, and some fiber, and they'll just enjoy pecking them apart and eating them. I feed mine meat all the time, too.

congrats on the venison! My guys were empty handed this year
sad.png

RonP

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 4, 2014
New Jersey, "The Garden State"
It looks like an excellent treat!

Nothing in there seems harmfull, just limit the volume to around 10% of their daily feed like all treats, so as to not throw off the nutrient requirements.

tess36

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2015
Central Virginia
Thank you guys. The dog did end up getting it!
1f609.png
I ended up with about five cups of meat that fell off the bones so I ended up picking all the onion out, then pureed it with some brewer's yeast and making a gravy to put over her food. I ended up with 2 qts venison broth, 2 qts of venison dog gravy. Then I repeated the process with the turkey carcasses and ended up with 2.5 qts of turkey broth and 2 qts of turkey dog gravy. The dog and I are pretty happy.
1f609.png

Top Bottom