Vent blocked What to do.

I have a heavy snow storm going on here and my internet connection is rather poor. Others may need to ride herd on this if my connection gives out. But basically, calcium and peace and quiet and keep the prolapse moist and the other chickens away from her.

The darkening on the one end of the lash egg is due to it being exposed to air and drying out, I think. So glad that she was able to pass that. Hopefully, the swelling will go down. If you have any hemorrhoid cream or hydrocortisone cream, that can reduce swelling. Honey or sugar plus a few drops of water to make a paste will also reduce swelling.

I have a heavy snow storm going on here and my internet connection is rather poor. Others may need to ride herd on this if my connection gives out. But basically, calcium and peace and quiet and keep the prolapse moist and the other chickens away from her.

I will be here for a little while. @Wyorp Rock stays up a little later. Hopefully, your hen will get a little rest in that quiet spot for the night. Just check in, and maybe offer her some fluids. But she really needs some calcium or Tums if there is another egg or lash egg coming. Azygous stay safe during your storm in CO.

I checked my hens tonight and noticed something was wrong. She is in pain trying to poo and crying. I soaked her 20 minutes in Epson salt trying to clean it but she is stra0ining and still blocked

Yes the vent opening is enlarged.
Good advice from everyone so far.

@pamelageier if possible, get some extra Calcium into her now/tonight. Calcium Citrate with D3 or TUMS will work. Pop the pill into her beak and let her swallow.

It looks like she expelled a lash egg, but she may have more material that she is trying to push out. The Calcium will help with contractions. Keep the vent tissue moist with ointment, oil, honey, etc.

She has passed 3 more t
I will be here for a little while. @Wyorp Rock stays up a little later. Hopefully, your hen will get a little rest in that quiet spot for the night. Just check in, and maybe offer her some fluids. But she really needs some calcium or Tums if there is another egg or lash egg coming. Azygous stay safe during your storm in CO.

an clumps like the first just smaller. I gave her 600 MG calcium pyruvate and she is breathing easier and now just straining grunts but no more screaming My Dogos had to stay right beside her the whole time and whined everytime she screamed. Poor baby. I hate seeing her in so much pain. I put honey on her to prevent drying fixed her a heating pad and put her in a puppy crate with a blanket over it. Thanks everyone for your help so far. I am here alone and was hitting panic mode. Now I know I did all I could for her this evening and let's see what morning brings.

Back
Top Bottom