Vent clogged

pwhitaker413

Chirping
Jun 1, 2019
I wanted to see if anyone can help with an issue I have been having off and on with my hen. She is around 9 months old but has never laid. She has had issues off and on with her vent for the past few months. From what I have read it appears to be vent gleet however, she also has a clogged vent. Most of the time when she tries to poop she strains and very little comes out. I have bathed her off and on and it doesn't seem to be helping. Her vent also doesn't appear just round but elongated and clogged. It also appears to have some yellowish looking tissue in the middle of the "clog". She is in the coop with one other hen and other hen is fine. I have tried ACV in water, changing water frequently, adding probiotics to water and keeping the coop clean. She acts pretty normal, eating and drinking regularly. Again, this has been going on for a while but I am getting more concerned because what I have been trying doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Can you bring her in and post a picture of a cleaned up vent? I would isolate in a wire dog crate to watch her. It sounds like she could have a prolapse or may have a lash egg stuck in her vent. I would soak her bottom for 30 minutes in warm Epsom salts or soapy water, and lubricate the vent with a gloved finger, and try to remove the object. Also give her some human calcium, Tums, or grind up a cooked egg and shell and offer that to her. Lash eggs are particles of infectious material from an inflammed oviduct (also called salpingitis.) Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Here is a pic after her soak today...sorry it's pretty graphic. Thank you for the advice. I will try another soak and calcium.

Attachments

• E0F3FBD5-8D26-4017-9D9C-7D0771C11766.jpeg
    E0F3FBD5-8D26-4017-9D9C-7D0771C11766.jpeg
    503.5 KB · Views: 15
It looks like there may have been a prolapse, just because it looks like the opening of the cloaca, and possibly has been been pecked. Did you see any evidence of maggots on her vent? Can you check the inside of the vent for any mass or stuck droppings? I would apply some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day to the scabbed area. Repeat the soaks once a day to try and soften the scabs.

Thank you, just did a 30 min soak, she passed some poop at the end of the bath, but it was runny and vent looks the same. No evidence of maggots that I could see. Applied ointment, although I was nervous to pick around too much because it’s almost like a hard mass. I am going to keep that up for the next few days so hopefully that will help!!

Back
Top Bottom