Vent gleet? Swollen abdomen?

JennyD215

Hatching
May 25, 2022
Is this vent gleet or water belly?? Not sure what to do. Acting normal

09E26536-EFDF-4697-A9D1-285B2DE27E17.jpeg
A55C8458-88A8-4F05-9617-EE4A27CFC2F1.jpeg

Sadly there is no cure, but you can drain the fluids out of her abdomen to make her more comfortable. Does she waddle like a penguin when she walks? What do her droppings look like? Is she having a hard time breathing? How is her posture?
I lost a hen to ascites. Her fluid got too thick to remove by the time we found out she was sick... her liver started to fail too so we had to cull her.

Last edited:
Since the swelling appears to be toward the rear and under the vent rather than between and in front of the legs, it may be a reproductive infection.

If you possess a needle syringe, you can do a shallow poke and withdraw a little fluid. The color of the fluid will tell you which this is.

Ascites is clear, pale yellow fluid. Reproductive infection is opaque brown fluid. Ascites has no cure. Infection may be treated with amoxicillin if you've caught it early.

How is the hen acting, and is she eating or drinking? What color are her poops? It could be ascites, but it also could be large lash egg masses which can be from salpingitis and e.coli. Egg yolk peritonitis could also be possible. For what it is worth, I have had 2 large hens with bare huge bellies like that. They hung around for a couple of years, and when they pooped, you could see some yellow urates in the dropping. They ate drank, and hung out with the flock, but did not lay eggs. When I lose a hen, I usually do a necropsy to see what the abdominal contents look like. With those 2 I chickened out.

Back
Top Bottom