Vent Gleet

Wyorp Rock. I’ve bathed her in epsom salt, felt in her vent and cannot feel anything. she is sittin in my sink. I’m guessing there is nothing more I can do other than dress her vent.
I’m going to use theracyn and a salve. Should I keep her in my bathroom? I dont have a separate pin to keep her isolated from my other hen.
Is the tissue still sticking out?
If it is, then keeping her inside is probably a better choice, I would be afraid of the other hen pecking at it and doing damage. Hens eventually "investigate" things and while she may not mean to hurt your Gal, it may happen especially is she draws blood - that seems to really turn them on.

When you feel her abdomen below the vent/between her legs - does that swelling feel like fluid?

I'm so sorry about this. Theracyn and salve to protect the skin and keep the tissue moist are a good idea. You could try an antibiotic to see if that helps reduce swelling and make her more comfortable. If the abdomen is fluid filled, sometimes that can be drained. Draining does have risks, but it may buy her some time.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If you do, what do you have?

Is the tissue still sticking out?
If it is, then keeping her inside is probably a better choice, I would be afraid of the other hen pecking at it and doing damage. Hens eventually "investigate" things and while she may not mean to hurt your Gal, it may happen especially is she draws blood - that seems to really turn them on.

When you feel her abdomen below the vent/between her legs - does that swelling feel like fluid?

I'm so sorry about this. Theracyn and salve to protect the skin and keep the tissue moist are a good idea. You could try an antibiotic to see if that helps reduce swelling and make her more comfortable. If the abdomen is fluid filled, sometimes that can be drained. Draining does have risks, but it may buy her some time.
Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If you do, what do you have?

The vent doesn’t seem to stick out all the time. A d feeling her belly between her legs feels more solid than liquidy but I’m not really sure what I am feeling.

i have two forms of antibiotic. Both old, both capsules.

Macrobid 50Mg and Keflex 500 mg. How would I administer them?
thank you so much for helping me with this. I’m so afraid she is going to die and I don’t want her to, of course. I guess it would not hurt as much if I had a flock but maybe it is just as painful.
I have her in the bathroom and will keep her there at least until dusk.

Hi, please tell me the best methods to treat. I have washed the area, applied an anti fungal cream and put a little apple cider vinegar in the water. No more treats for now but not sure what more to do. This is my hen Les, a silver lace Wyandotte, who has already been through a lot. Thank you.
This worked well for me but remember I’m not a doctor. I put yeast infection cream in an eye dropper by squeezing the tube into it. Then plunged some of it into The vent three times a day. About 4-6mm. I also First Cleaned the vent gently with warm water squeezed and padded with paper towel prior to plunge. I monitored the vent to ensure the bird could still push out contents as I did not want to block the vent. I sometimes used a generic azo antifungal oral pilled crushed it Into powder and mixed with water. The affected quail drank some of it but not much so I put some on its food and it ate some. See before and after pictures. The cream and azo water mixed may make it less thick. I also cut back feather like fuzz just under the vent to help droppings drop.

Attachments

• 7A09AD8D-745D-495D-BC2A-EE17D712CA0D.jpeg
    7A09AD8D-745D-495D-BC2A-EE17D712CA0D.jpeg
    963.7 KB · Views: 5
  • BE875670-1BFA-43B4-8DA8-9D6E390C7FCD.png
    BE875670-1BFA-43B4-8DA8-9D6E390C7FCD.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
This worked well for me but remember I’m not a doctor. (This was also for a 3-4 week old baby quail) I put yeast infection cream in an eye dropper by squeezing the tube into it. Then plunged some of it into the vent three times a day. About 4-6mm. I also First Cleaned the vent gently with warm water squeezed and padded with paper towel prior to plunge. I monitored the vent to ensure the bird could still push out contents as I did not want to block the vent. I sometimes used a generic azo antifungal oral pilled crushed it Into powder and mixed with water. The affected quail drank some of it but not much so I put some on its food and it ate some. See before and after pictures. The cream and azo water mixed may make it less thick. I also cut back feather like fuzz just under the vent to help droppings drop.i also put a few drops of oregano in the quails water every other day.

Were you treating vent gleet? As one of our BYC keepers explained is that I may not be dealing with vent gleet but A prolapsed vent. Worse. Your photos are impressive so your technique must have worked.

Thanks for your suggestions. BTW what is generic azo anti fungal oral?

See photos. Also (I did antifungal cream for 3-4 days 3x a day). However, I also tried to make sure the quail passed some poop before treatment but the quail was not really passing much poop. So first used liquid instead of cream- I started with using azo crushed pill and water to help with improving passing poop. Then as they seemed like they could pass poop better I used the cream.

Were you treating vent gleet? As one of our BYC keepers explained is that I may not be dealing with vent gleet but A prolapsed vent. Worse. Your photos are impressive so your technique must have worked.

Thanks for your suggestions. BTW what is generic azo anti fungal oral?
I think it may have been vent gleet because it responded to yeast infection medicine but I don’t really know as I don’t have a medical degree and don’t diagnose. I don’t know what you do for prolapsed vent. There are posts others suggested what to do for that. Thank you. It is a relief to know this baby quail will survive.

The vent doesn’t seem to stick out all the time. A d feeling her belly between her legs feels more solid than liquidy but I’m not really sure what I am feeling.

i have two forms of antibiotic. Both old, both capsules.

Macrobid 50Mg and Keflex 500 mg. How would I administer them?
thank you so much for helping me with this. I’m so afraid she is going to die and I don’t want her to, of course. I guess it would not hurt as much if I had a flock but maybe it is just as painful.
I have her in the bathroom and will keep her there at least until dusk.
I would try the Keflex. I have a message in with a couple of others just to check my notes on dosing. I have dosage at 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day.

Since these are capsules, place the powder of 1 capsule into a "known" measurement. Say, 1 teaspoon cat food, liverwurst, yogurt, etc. Mix it up well - then you can divide that up to the dosage you need. For example if you need 250mg then you would give the hen 1/2 of that "concoction". Do I make any sense? LOL

Is she pooping at all? If you can, get us a photo of her poop too.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this :hugs
Reproductive problems just really stink. They are common in laying hens and sadly I have lost some. I don't keep a large number of birds, but each one is special in their own right, so I do understand that it is upsetting and heartbreaking.

I really think this is probably egg yolk peritonitis. Her lower belly is so enlarged that her vent area looks pooched out. There could be lash egg material from salpingitis inside the abdomen. These hens eventually die from EYP. There also could be some ascites fluid inside. The enlarged belly “catches” the droppings so they don’t fall away. I would concentrate on getting her to eat and drink, and trying to make her more comfortable. Clean her vent area with a little spray of water. If there is irritation, Nustock is pretty good. I tend to deal with these reproductive disorders by trying to let them live normally without a lot of intervention. I would recommend getting a necropsy or dojng one yourself when you lose her. This is common in some hens.

Back
Top Bottom