Vent Gleet

and do you administer by syringe. My little gurl will not come anywhere near me. She knows what I’m up to. 🙃

whoever coined the term “bird brain” never had chickens🤣
Yes, by syringe.
LOL They can tell if you are up to something. A lot of times I wait until they are roosting and get them then. A lot depends on the bird - I have a few that come up all the time, but it's usually the crazy one I need :lol:

Look how much she has improved. I finally nabbed her today.

Now for a new question. The photo is lousy but can you tell what this is? Do chickens get ingrown feather follicles???

Attachments

• m2w6zOMkQVilfi3GOYI5xw.jpg
    m2w6zOMkQVilfi3GOYI5xw.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 5
  • +qANYuHuTk2+TWqvI1JblQ.jpg
    +qANYuHuTk2+TWqvI1JblQ.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 5
she is definitely smarter than me. Good idea on the yogurt mixture. is it possible to overdose a chicken with vitamins?

Thanks again.
Look how much she has improved. I finally nabbed her today.

Now for a new question. The photo is lousy but can you tell what this is? Do chickens get ingrown feather follicles???
Like anything, yes it's possible to overdose them with vitamins. They are to be given short term.

She is improving!
The "thing" is that on her back toward her tail? Could be you found her preening gland?

But yes - chickens can have ingrown feather follicles too.

Yes, it is the preening gland. I just read about it. Cool. Thanks.
:wee

Now that my chicken is recovering what should I do to keep her healthy? She has been on antibiotics for a week. How long should I continue to treat her vent. If I remember correctly one of the BYC Enablers suggested Chicken would 1) have this problem again, 2) she may die, 3) she may never lay again. So...

Obviously I need to learn more about chickens before I have another disaster or put either of my hens at risk. Is there a book I should read? Is there a book which identifies ailments??

Thanks for today’s lesson. 😍

Thank you for your kindness and encouragement.
:hugs I think we all have that kind of trouble as novices, and sometimes make things worse although we are trying to make them better. You can either keep practicing or let nature take its course. I tend to go the latter route if the suffering seems no worse than it is when I intervene. It can get better on its own. Good luck to you and your hen!

Perris, my chicken hasn’t died and in fact she has really improved. Wyorp Rock has been coaching me through this whole Crazytown episode but you put me on the right path. Thanks
:hugs

Yes, it is the preening gland. I just read about it. Cool. Thanks.
:wee

Now that my chicken is recovering what should I do to keep her healthy? She has been on antibiotics for a week. How long should I continue to treat her vent. If I remember correctly one of the BYC Enablers suggested Chicken would 1) have this problem again, 2) she may die, 3) she may never lay again. So...

Obviously I need to learn more about chickens before I have another disaster or put either of my hens at risk. Is there a book I should read? Is there a book which identifies ailments??

Thanks for today’s lesson. 😍
Is she still having a discharge from the vent?

When you finish the antibiotics, I would give her some yogurt or buttermilk to help restore the gut from antibiotics. Her friend can have a little yogurt or buttermilk with her - give as a treat :)

Sometimes poop and such sticks to the skin and can make it raw - since she's bare - I would try to keep her rinsed off and apply your ointment/spray as needed to protect the skin.

I'm not sure about books. I've heard the books by Gail Damerow are pretty good - I don't know of any others :oops:

LOL Glad that was her preening/oil gland instead of an impacted feather follicle! You are right though - sometimes a feather can become impacted and create a sore - that would need to be taken care of if it happened. You sure don't want anything else to deal with right now - though I suspect you could handle it just fine! You have done a wonderful job taking care of your hen!

Back
Top Bottom