Vent Gleet?

Hi, I have a hen that I am very sure based on the research has gleet. Her feathers at the bottom have been entangled with what appears to be white liquid. I washed her and put nu stock on as she is now completely bald down there. This runny poop thing has been going on a while . I didn’t know about gleet then and treated for coccidiosis the whole flock. I quarantined her now (has been two days) with another gal that I am treating successfully for sour crop with Monistat. I am doing 2 milliliters approximately @ 4% a.m., and p.m. I will do for 7 days. She is coming around has emptied and ate mash and hard boiled egg today.

You mentioned monistat for gleet. I rubbed it on around vent. Will it help to give it orally to this hen as well?
So this is still on going for us. It has now completely turned into a very aggressive form of sour crop and vent gleet. I started using monastat twice daily over the last 3 days, which seemed to help maybe the first two days with limited food and water. Last night and today I let her free range and eat her regular feed and she’s obsessively drinking water. I think she might have a blockage in addition to sour crop because it just won’t go down. Not sure if I need to pivot and start with coconut oil or continue with sour crop treatment.

Hi, I have a hen that I am very sure based on the research has gleet. Her feathers at the bottom have been entangled with what appears to be white liquid. I washed her and put nu stock on as she is now completely bald down there. This runny poop thing has been going on a while . I didn’t know about gleet then and treated for coccidiosis the whole flock. I quarantined her now (has been two days) with another gal that I am treating successfully for sour crop with Monistat. I am doing 2 milliliters approximately @ 4% a.m., and p.m. I will do for 7 days. She is coming around has emptied and ate mash and hard boiled egg today.

You mentioned monistat for gleet. I rubbed it on around vent. Will it help to give it orally to this hen as well?
She is eating and acting normal just the white runs and sore and bald below. Here is a picture but the stuff rubbed on her is nu stock. Picture of poo from today. I have never wormed in the 9 years I have had hens. I plan to when I get these two under control didn’t want to introduce too much at once.
So this is still on going for us. It has now completely turned into a very aggressive form of sour crop and vent gleet. I started using monastat twice daily over the last 3 days, which seemed to help maybe the first two days with limited food and water. Last night and today I let her free range and eat her regular feed and she’s obsessively drinking water. I think she might have a blockage in addition to sour crop because it just won’t go down. Not sure if I need to pivot and start with coconut oil or continue with sour crop treatment.
My hen has a squishy crop. At first she wasn’t emptying, and it was still squishy first thing in the morning before food. Today she was empty at 2 PM which I assume meant she did not eat today.

Yesterday she ate and emptied. I got my hands on some prescription nystatin, which in an article here about crop problems said that is the best if you can get it because it requires prescription. Because it’s so much stronger. I worry about giving too much. Let’s face it. We can only do the best we can. I feel she may not make it. The raw area underneath on the gleet girl is starting to feather again. Going to try and put nystatin around her vent and as close as I can get to it. Not sure how to get it on the vent. She is not very cooperative even in the wee early morning, and after perching at night.

Very scary bird she quivers when I’m holding her and pants. She was a rescue and I don’t think she was handled at all. At 6 AM this morning she squirted liquid Poo all over me as I was trying to pry her mouth open for the Monistat. A lot of Chicken people in my area have been telling me that worming may make a difference. Perhaps the worms may be the underlying cause not sure. I have never wormed anyone and I’ve been doing this for nine years. I think that will be easier than the twice a day Monistat, though.

Attachments

• IMG_9934.jpeg
    IMG_9934.jpeg
    605.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9935.jpeg
    IMG_9935.jpeg
    921.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom