VENT GLEET?!

NewbieFarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 30, 2013
A couple of my hens have what *appears* to be vent gleet. If so how do i treat it?

I've started treating with Wazine 17, along with ACV in the water.

Last edited:
Just to let you know--Wazine only treats roundworms, and chickens get several more that can cause problems. In 10 days, you might want to worm again with Safe-guard Liquid wormer or Safe-guard paste, or with Valbazen liquid. Vent gleet is mostly a fungal infection, and it may be the only problem or it can go along with other illnesses. I would treat it with first cleaning the vent and trimming feathers, then applying an antifungal cream such as Miconazole, Lotrimin, or Nustock , a sulfur-based cream from the feed store. The most important thing is to give probiotics in the diet a few times a week. You can use Probios, human probiotic capsules, or a plain yogurt with cultures. Don't overdo the yogurt because chickens don't handle a lot of dairy products well. Here is a good link: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of advice. I just had a bout of this go through some of my hens and I just used warm water with some epsom salts and scrubbed their dirty hineys gently (they were NOT amused...and a 9lb unamused hen is not easy to hold onto....FYI) till they were clean, then used some anti-fungal from the drug store on their bums till they didn't show signs of it. Took about a week to clear up. Some molted their feathers in that area, some didn't.

Could you use Vagisil ladies cream for yeast infection, for that? I have some Lotrimin, but it's just a small tube for foot fungus, but also have more Vagisil.
No, Vagisil has benzocaine in it, and is very bad for chickens. Most anti-fungal creams would work--miconazole, lotrimin, even sulfur-based creams like Nustock from the feed store.

I use Dawn dish detergent. NOT the antibacterial one, just the regular old blue kind. It's what they use to clean wildlife after oil spills and is safe to use. I just use a small amount with some warm water and rinse really well. My girls actually tolerate it very well and don't seem to mind it. One of my girls appears to even enjoy it a bit. I think she's uncomfortable and the warm water feels soothing. I was using a VERY dilute amount of tea tree oil as it has anti fungal properties. The irritation went away, but not the root problem, so I'm going to try the monestat this time.

All you need is generic miconazole cream which you can find about anywhere in the pharmacy section. You can use just enough to coat the skin once a day, and save the rest for the next day.

All you need is generic miconazole cream which you can find about anywhere in the pharmacy section. You can use just enough to coat the skin once a day, and save the rest for the next day.
So I do not even need to use the the little capsules? If it doesn’t clear up from just the cream and plain yogurt in diet should I try inserting the tablets in her vent hole like a woman would with a yeast infection?

Back
Top Bottom