VENT GLEET?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewbieFarm, Dec 1, 2013.

1. NewbieFarm

NewbieFarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    A couple of my hens have what *appears* to be vent gleet. If so how do i treat it?

[​IMG]

I've started treating with Wazine 17, along with ACV in the water.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just to let you know--Wazine only treats roundworms, and chickens get several more that can cause problems. In 10 days, you might want to worm again with Safe-guard Liquid wormer or Safe-guard paste, or with Valbazen liquid. Vent gleet is mostly a fungal infection, and it may be the only problem or it can go along with other illnesses. I would treat it with first cleaning the vent and trimming feathers, then applying an antifungal cream such as Miconazole, Lotrimin, or Nustock , a sulfur-based cream from the feed store. The most important thing is to give probiotics in the diet a few times a week. You can use Probios, human probiotic capsules, or a plain yogurt with cultures. Don't overdo the yogurt because chickens don't handle a lot of dairy products well. Here is a good link: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. NewbieFarm

Nov 30, 2013
    @Eggcessive How should i clean her up?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. fosterson

fosterson Chillin' With My Peeps

You and the hen(s) probably aren't going to like this, but you have to wash them. If it's cold, you'll need to blow them dry before you put them back outside, unless you have a toasty garage you can temporarily house them in.

5. NewbieFarm

Nov 30, 2013
    @fosterson What should i use? Just soap and water?

6. fosterson

I've seen a lot of advice. I just had a bout of this go through some of my hens and I just used warm water with some epsom salts and scrubbed their dirty hineys gently (they were NOT amused...and a 9lb unamused hen is not easy to hold onto....FYI) till they were clean, then used some anti-fungal from the drug store on their bums till they didn't show signs of it. Took about a week to clear up. Some molted their feathers in that area, some didn't.

7. fosterson

Also, I started using fermented feed (that's more like chicken keeping 102) and adding yogurt to their morning meal, just about a 1/3rd of a cup of natural (just milk and culture) yogurt. That seemed to help clear it right up.

8. fosterson

That link that Eggsessive gave a day or so ago has some really good info. That's one of the sites I went to when it happened.

9. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you use Vagisil ladies cream for yeast infection, for that? I have some Lotrimin, but it's just a small tube for foot fungus, but also have more Vagisil.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Use lotrimin it is a antifungal cream. You can also use monistat or canesten.

I believe vagisil contains benzocaine(do not use "caine/cane" products,toxic to chickens)is a local anesthetic(numbing agent)blocks nerves in irritated skin conditions.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by