Vent gleet?

lakones

Songster
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Zachary, LA
I have a hen with a dirty butt ians I'm on day 2.5 of isolation with acv water and yogurt/wheat germ/layer crumble mix 3 times a day. She is eating/drinking fine, but still has smelly discharge. Any other things to do with her? Can I add a probiotic to her feed mix or is that too much? Maybe tomorrow I will do the Epsom salt cleanse. Thoughts?
Here's a pic after a bath. The area cleaned well, but not complete.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. She has been isolated for over a week now and I have and/or am doing acv water, fresh garlic, yogurt, wheat germ, baths, Epsom salt orally, spray for lice/mites, blue coat spray around the vent, and even tried worming her on a local chicken keepers advice. She'll seem to clear up for a day, but then it's back again. Arggggg......
She acts fine, eats, drinks, poops, scratches, dust bathes...but still has some runny stuff from the vent and smells yuck! She is fairly light weight and even with all I've been feeding her this week she is not gaining weight. Also no egg laying since she's been in isolation, but I don't know for sure that she ever started. She's about 7 months old.
When I mentioned taking her to the vet I got a crossways look from hubby. Any other advise out there?

I would definitely try probiotics or put a small amount of buttermilk on her feed. A concoction I make for messy vents is a small amount of bread crumbs with a little buttermilk and scrambled egg whisked together and poured over the bread. Then I put an ounce of ACV into a gallon of water daily for about a week. Antifungal medicines such as fluconazole or nystatin are useful in treating vent fleet, and your vet may be able to prescribe one. Keep your waterers clean, and try to prevent them from drinking out of puddles.

Back
Top Bottom