Vent issues in rooster ! !!!Graphic photos!!!

monicamarie83

Chirping
Jan 2, 2023
I just discovered this issue with my Ayam rooster yesterday... It looks as if he has a plug of feces and his backend is swollen! He has been acting fine, he can still poop but it's liquidly . He still has all his feathers back there so I didn't notice it till he was roosting up high and I saw it! I gave him a long soak in Epsom salt to loosen it up but it didn't do very much... Someone please help! He is only 6 months old

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_125308041_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230820_125308041_HDR.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 178
Do you see any sign of maggots on his vent? That can be a deadly issue in hot weather where flys get on poopy feathers. Any sign of a prolapse or vent pecking? He looks like he is either constipated or has vent gleet. I would try giving him some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces for him to peck 1 tsp twice a day. Mineral oil would work, but put that in some egg or feed. That may loosen the crud around his vent opening. Also you may want to get a disposable glove and some vaseline or lubricant, and insert a finger into the vent to break up some of the solid material. Urates, the white material in the droppings, can cake up at the vent opening. This might be easier right before you get him out of his soak, so I would do this once a day for a couple of more days. I would also consider worming him.

Do you see any sign of maggots on his vent? That can be a deadly issue in hot weather where flys get on poopy feathers. Any sign of a prolapse or vent pecking? He looks like he is either constipated or has vent gleet. I would try giving him some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces for him to peck 1 tsp twice a day. Mineral oil would work, but put that in some egg or feed. That may loosen the crud around his vent opening. Also you may want to get a disposable glove and some vaseline or lubricant, and insert a finger into the vent to break up some of the solid material. Urates, the white material in the droppings, can cake up at the vent opening. This might be easier right before you get him out of his soak, so I would do this once a day for a couple of more days. I would also consider worming him.
There's no maggots that I can see, thank goodness and he is pecking at it but no one else bothers him .. I have him separated right now. I tried putting some Vaseline on but it was a little gloopy and fell off... But I'll try your advice!

You're going to have to give some repeated soakings and see if you can loosen the hardened plug out of the vent.

What do you feed, including treats?
Do you provide grit?
Have you ever dewormed or treated for Coccidiosis?
He eats scratch and vegetables out of my garden... And yes I provided grit, I mix it and have a separate bowl... I have not dewormed them but have treated for coccidiosis recently... also have some sick chickens and wasn't sure so I treated all ..but I ordered some dewormer so that will be soon

He eats scratch and vegetables out of my garden... And yes I provided grit, I mix it and have a separate bowl... I have not dewormed them but have treated for coccidiosis recently... also have some sick chickens and wasn't sure so I treated all ..but I ordered some dewormer so that will be soon
Do you provide a poultry feed for your chicks too?
If not, then I recommend that you feed them a nutritionally balanced poultry feed that is at least 18-20% protein.

Do you provide a poultry feed for your chicks too?
If not, then I recommend that you feed them a nutritionally balanced poultry feed that is at least 18-20% protein.
I do, I just got a bag of scratch but they were on a poultry superfeed mix that I came across at Walmart, has vitamins, essential oils, all the good stuff .

Scratch is too low in protein and not enough nutrients to use other than the occasional treat. They love it though, but it is like feeding your kids candy bars. A balanced feed has all they need. TSC usually has a good selection of brand name feeds as well including all flock, layer, and chick feed. Walmart carries some, but I have only seen one kind there.

Scratch is too low in protein and not enough nutrients to use other than the occasional treat. They love it though, but it is like feeding your kids candy bars. A balanced feed has all they need. TSC usually has a good selection of brand name feeds as well including all flock, layer, and chick feed. Walmart carries some, but I have only seen one kind there.
Well I soaked him again today and tried to pick some of it out and now it's bleeding really bad. I literally moved a chunk , saw blood and stopped! I'm so lost I don't know what to do! I got mineral oil today and gave him coconut oil chunks yesterday, non yet today... I just lost 10 chickens due to another illness, Im tired of losing them!

Back
Top Bottom