Vent prolapse - NEED HELP

I just dealt with a prolapse on a runner duck - she hasn't laid an egg since it happened, but the prolapse was happening every time she pooped. I eventually covered her bum with one of these bandaids - and it hasn't prolapsed since. But I don't know what would happen if she tried to lay an egg while it was on. I've been changing the bandaid a lot, but mostly leaving the sticky tabs of the original bandaid on and cutting away the dirty middle part so I don't stress her by pulling on her feathers and skin - I did first trim feathers in the area. Since the prolapse went in I've been applying honey and hydrocortisone alternately when I change the bandaid. View attachment 3274465
Are you just putting on a whole new bandaid every time you change it, since you're only cutting away the middle part? I'm tempted to try this since it happened again today. How often are you changing it?

I was mostly cutting the middle out, unless the new bandage was atop the old one on the ends and peeled off easily, which happened several times. Mostly, just trying not to traumatize her by yanking a bandage off of her feathers. I didn't change it everytime she pooped, but if it was a big poop, I would. The type of bandages I used were not sealed on the padded side - see picture, so poop mostly shot out the sides anyway. I slathered the area with raw honey or hydrocortisone when I reapplied the bandage. I hope this helps! I put my duck outside today after four days of having the prolapse stay in, so hoping she doesn't lay and it's good now, but trying not to get my hopes up.

I was mostly cutting the middle out, unless the new bandage was atop the old one on the ends and peeled off easily, which happened several times. Mostly, just trying not to traumatize her by yanking a bandage off of her feathers. I didn't change it everytime she pooped, but if it was a big poop, I would. The type of bandages I used were not sealed on the padded side - see picture, so poop mostly shot out the sides anyway. I slathered the area with raw honey or hydrocortisone when I reapplied the bandage. I hope this helps! I put my duck outside today after four days of having the prolapse stay in, so hoping she doesn't lay and it's good now, but trying not to get my hopes up.
I hope your duck does well from here on out! I picked up some honey and bandaids so I'm gonna give that a shot tonight. I haven't checked on her again since this afternoon's check (besides giving her a hardboiled egg with extra calcium on top for dinner and fresh water), so we'll see what happens. Hopefully I have a good update here in a couple days.

Alrighty, so an update here on day 4.
The prolapse has continued, I tried using honey and a bandaid (honey might work, but the bandaid didn't want to stick). I noticed yesterday a little discharge along with the prolapse, it was pretty much the color of the albumen of an egg and I didn't think anything of it. Today though I noticed a yellowish discharge that's the same color and consistency of egg yolk. I'm now wondering if, despite laying 2 eggs in the last two days, there may have been either a soft-shelled or shell-less egg that is trying to come out. If that's the case, I have absolutely no idea what to do. Now that I think about it, I also noticed some weird poop/discharge on Tuesday (today is Thursday, for reference) that seemed like it could have been a soft-shelled egg, but of course the chicken won't stand in a good spot for me to look at her butt (I don't blame her, I'm uncomfortable too.)

Last edited:
I'm so sorry - that is tough. I don't know what to say about the discharge. I had drips of clear liquid, but nothing yellow. As for getting the bandage to stick, I did trim the feathers a little bit and had no problem with it sticking - I didn't let her swim after I put it on.

I'm so sorry - that is tough. I don't know what to say about the discharge. I had drips of clear liquid, but nothing yellow. As for getting the bandage to stick, I did trim the feathers a little bit and had no problem with it sticking - I didn't let her swim after I put it on.
Yeah, I trimmed the feathers but her butt may have been a little too wet still between the wet wipe and the Vetericyn. I'll try it again tomorrow, but luckily bandaids will be used for other purposes if not for this one.
I'm really hoping she pulls through this, she's my favorite hen and is acting totally fine - honestly I wouldn't even think there was anything wrong if not for being able to see it. There's been too many animal losses for me this year, and I don't want her to be another one.

I don't know if this thread would be any help to you - here someone made a bandage with vet wrap that held their chicken's prolapse in. I think the duck and chicken body are a little different because before I landed on the bandaid I tried a couple variations of this and my girl pulled it right off.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-treatment-with-photos.1101406/#post-16939970

I sure hope she recovers from this. You're doing a great job. I hear you on the animal losses - I've been there as well and it can be so discouraging when we're trying so hard! Maybe the vet wrap will do the trick.

I don't know if this thread would be any help to you - here someone made a bandage with vet wrap that held their chicken's prolapse in. I think the duck and chicken body are a little different because before I landed on the bandaid I tried a couple variations of this and my girl pulled it right off.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-treatment-with-photos.1101406/#post-16939970

I sure hope she recovers from this. You're doing a great job. I hear you on the animal losses - I've been there as well and it can be so discouraging when we're trying so hard! Maybe the vet wrap will do the trick.
That is perfect, thank you! I've been scouring the archives here to see if there's any successful treatment beyond what I've been doing, but hadn't come across that one yet. I'll pick up some vet tape today and see if I can make that work. Fingers crossed. My husband luckily is being a trooper about having her in the house despite not being the biggest fan of chickens (besides "free" eggs, ha), his only request has been that I move the crate she's in to the laundry room since it's a little stinky between spilled water on the bedding and poop/discharge smell.

Update for Saturday after trying the vet tape - the tape didn't quite hold, so when I took it off to try to reposition it, the prolapse popped back out with a bunch of yellow, infected-smelling discharge. She's still acting happy and fine, but I don't think there's anything else I can do for her. I was so hopeful that she'd pull through.

Back
Top Bottom