Vent prolapse won't stay in :(

shanedaman112

Hatching
Sep 22, 2016
Our quail is about 1 1/2 years old now, and it has a prolapse. I'm sure that's what it is, but it's not egg bound so atleast that. The problem is, when I push it back in (and hold it in for 20 seconds) it takes at most 5 minutes to happen again! We hadn't noticed it until today, and it could have been going on for days for all we know unfortunately. I tried prep h but I guess it didnt help. I really don't know what to do :(

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Sometimes when they are in the contraction mode, the prolapse won't stay in. You might try soaking her in the sink in some warm water for about 15-20 mins. Just her lower half. Not hot water, not cool either, but a warm temp. You will need to hold her in the water, but usually once they settle in, they do become very calm in warm water, nearly falling a sleep. Some of them anyway. This can help them to relax and maybe help it stay inside. She also needs some quiet time. Very dim light for about 8 hours, enough to see and eat and the rest of the time complete darkness. This will help er stop releasing yolks, hopefully will send her into a molt so she stops laying and can heal. If you do get her insides to stay in, she needs time to heal, you can't let her lay again for a while.

So give the warm water a try. IF you can get it to stay in, I would immediately put her in some very dim light for now. Just enough to get a drink of water and some food. Get her in complete darkness early this evening. By morning if her insides are still inside, I would keep her in 8 hours of light only per day. The rest of the time, complete darkness. You can keep her with the rest of the flock IF her insides stay in, but remove her after 8 hours of light and get her in darkness. This should stop the laying and allow her to heal. If it comes out too many times, at some point it will never stay in.

Keep us posted! :)

Its not a guarantee the soaking will fix this, but its worth a try.

Keep us posted! :)

Yay! I came back 20 minutes after I put her in her little setup, and then 20-25 minutes after that, no prolapse! So that's good so far :)

Excellent!!! Now keep her quiet and dark tonight, let her sleep.

Tomorrow, no more mating from males and only 8 hours of daylight for a few weeks so she can heal. :)

I hope she makes a full recovery!!

It may be worth mentioning we don't have enough females. I can't really do anything about it right now but its just her and a male. The other female mysteriously died awhile back, seemingly pecked in the ear to death by the other female... Anyway, thanks a lot for the help so far :)

Are these Coturnix? This prolapse could be indirectly related to being over mated. Dehydration and stress is the number one cause of egg binding, which is usually how prolapse happens. If he is bothering her enough, she is not getting enough to drink, eat and becomes very exhausted. Hens can die from over mating. Too much mating can also damage the cloaca which opens and closes off the oviduct from the intestinal tract.

So you should probably keep her separted from him much of the time. Especially with her condition, she should not be mated for several weeks. Once she is well, only keep her with him a few hours a day. The proper ratio for Coturnix is 1 roo to 5 to 7 hens.

Keep us posted and I do hope she makes a full recovery! :)

Last edited:
Still no prolapse (yes!) The original owner didn't tell us what breed they are. I googled quail breeds and I'd say they're definitely Coturnix. Thanks for all your help so far, really!

Great to hear it is staying in place!! Keep up all the great care and she should heal soon. Hopefully she shuts down on laying and heals up completely. :)

Back
Top Bottom