Vent question

bunsnpupsnchick

Chirping
Jul 2, 2016
San Tan Valley, AZ
I was cleaning up poo from 1 of my 11 day old chicks when I noticed that his/her vent was a bit different from the others. No other issues that I'm seeing other than really bad poop build up. It looks like the vent is pointing down. Is this something the chick will grow into or could it be a forever issue of when s/he poops it'll stick to its feathers.

I've read about a little apple cider vinegar in their water. Will that hurt the others that don't have pasty butt? I've another who's little rear looks similar, but not as pronounced. Makes me wonder if they could be boys & their vent is like this to make it easier for them with the girls.

The pic is just after washing the poop off. I did put a little petroleum jelly on it in hopes that it'll help.

Thank you all so much! I'm full of immense gratitude for any & all help with all of my questions. You guys are awesome.

Nope, that looks like a normal chicken butt to me. ACV (unpasteurized, so its got the good stuff in it) won't hurt the others without pasty butt. It'll help keep their guts in working order just as well as the one with issues :)

Nope, that looks like a normal chicken butt to me. ACV (unpasteurized, so its got the good stuff in it) won't hurt the others without pasty butt. It'll help keep their guts in working order just as well as the one with issues
smile.png
Thank you! So far today, no poopy butts!
fl.gif
Now if it stays that way.

I'm glad it looks normal...though I am curious about possible boy. No tail feathers yet, 'uneven' wings...so those are falling line with what folks have said are males. I could see that shape helping a roo in mating. Have to wait & see.

I was cleaning up poo from 1 of my 11 day old chicks when I noticed that his/her vent was a bit different from the others. No other issues that I'm seeing other than really bad poop build up. It looks like the vent is pointing down. Is this something the chick will grow into or could it be a forever issue of when s/he poops it'll stick to its feathers.

I've read about a little apple cider vinegar in their water. Will that hurt the others that don't have pasty butt? I've another who's little rear looks similar, but not as pronounced. Makes me wonder if they could be boys & their vent is like this to make it easier for them with the girls.

The pic is just after washing the poop off. I did put a little petroleum jelly on it in hopes that it'll help.

Thank you all so much! I'm full of immense gratitude for any & all help with all of my questions. You guys are awesome.
The butt looks swollen/irritated but if all boys had butts different from girls---that would be nice---LOL----easy sexing. Nope that's no indication its a boy. I have never used ACV for my chicks. I read it does not hurt----I am a copy cat. I do what the mother hen does----I never seen her give her babies ACV so I never tried it. I adjust the heat for the brooders correctly so there is less poop butt and monitor them closely for the first few days. I have a real low poop butt problem with the chicks I brood. I have learned a lot in the last year to 2 years playing with hatching chicks----for sure a lot in a little over a year hatching over 6000. Hope to learn even more in the future with the next 1000's I hatch.

The butt looks swollen/irritated but if all boys had butts different from girls---that would be nice---LOL----easy sexing. Nope that's no indication its a boy. I have never used ACV for my chicks. I read it does not hurt----I am a copy cat. I do what the mother hen does----I never seen her give her babies ACV so I never tried it. I adjust the heat for the brooders correctly so there is less poop butt and monitor them closely for the first few days. I have a real low poop butt problem with the chicks I brood. I have learned a lot in the last year to 2 years playing with hatching chicks----for sure a lot in a little over a year hatching over 6000. Hope to learn even more in the future with the next 1000's I hatch.
I follow your logic. Might have got things tweaked as I'm not seeing the poopy butt. I'll have to play with the heat factor a bit more if there's another bout. My last chicks I had it when they first came home, but that was a day...just an adjustment period I think. These ones...bit longer so it's thrown me into all sorts of questions!

Wouldn't it be nice if the butts were different? I think this little just has a bit bigger butt over all. It would've been irritated in that pic as took a bit of running water, wiping, etc. to clean. I think the stinker backed up in to a corner or squatted real close to the ground when pooping. lol

6000! WOW.............I'm in total awe. You must have a huge set up to do that many. You've my mind racing on how you manage it, what do you do with all the babies....I'm spinning.

Back
Top Bottom