Vent-Sexed EE Comb/Coloring?

EE have NO standard of perfection.. and so can have any comb type and any feather color.. also bearded or non, and any skin, or shank, or lobe, or egg color. Differences seen between them are part of what makes them fun birds to keep.

I'm not seeing anything that would allow me to confirm one as a cockerel. Sometimes they do plump up a bit before pinking up the next week, as in the instance of my current young Leghorn. Yellow is good, but I've not seen them pink up quite this early.. though I have had a Silkie start crowing by 3 weeks old!

Gender specific saddle feathers aren't coming in before 9-10 weeks usually closer to 12 and not flowing until closer to 16. Before that (including 6 weeks) they are irrelevant.

If the breed has color differences between male and female.. like red shoulders.. those are often coming in around that 6 week mark.

ETA: Examples from google..
Saddle_1b-462x341.jpg

dcc2600fc0ffe7be9d1ed370658ce943.jpg
So a larger pea comb on my EE isn’t really an indication of a roo?

So a larger pea comb on my EE isn’t really an indication of a roo?
Hard to say for sure since it *could* be a modified pea (doesn't look pure for pea to me ( but I'm not an expert), & angles aren't the same between pics to even compare feathers, are they the same bird or 2, please forgive my confusion). Of course, I would be watching and curious also maybe even suspicious.. but not able to personally say actively think or able to confirm cockerel in this moment.

Hard to say for sure since it *could* be a modified pea (doesn't look pure for pea to me ( but I'm not an expert), & angles aren't the same between pics to even compare feathers, are they the same bird or 2, please forgive my confusion). Of course, I would be watching and curious also maybe even suspicious.. but not able to personally say actively think or able to confirm cockerel in this moment.
Yup both pictures are the same bird.

Also, does a 3 row pea comb automatically indicate roo?

Back
Top Bottom