Vent-Sexed EE Comb/Coloring?

LilHitzel

Chirping
May 10, 2023
She was vent sexed as a female (90% accuracy), but I’m a little concerned about her splotchy coloring and large comb. She’s a little over 3 weeks old. Her sister has a similar comb, but more even coloring on the feathers. They both feathered out super early. The comb is yellow with no signs of pinking so far.

Attachments

• 40CC39F6-30E0-4845-88D8-71A38FD715C7.jpeg
    40CC39F6-30E0-4845-88D8-71A38FD715C7.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 104914E3-25CC-4D08-91D7-E7E1805B01FB.jpeg
    104914E3-25CC-4D08-91D7-E7E1805B01FB.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 23
Hmm, let's see what other folks say, but I would expect their combs to be a little smaller at 3 weeks.

Super beautiful birds, BTW. What a cool feather pattern.

Still a tad bit too young, I would update when it gets closer to 6 weeks. Look for saddle feathers, if they’re pointing, most likely points to boy.

Hmm, let's see what other folks say, but I would expect their combs to be a little smaller at 3 weeks.

Super beautiful birds, BTW. What a cool feather pattern.
Thanks! Yeah she’s lovely, and such a sweet personality. I’m really hoping she is a she!! 🥺

She was vent sexed as a female (90% accuracy), but I’m a little concerned about her splotchy coloring and large comb. She’s a little over 3 weeks old. Her sister has a similar comb, but more even coloring on the feathers. They both feathered out super early. The comb is yellow with no signs of pinking so far.

EE have NO standard of perfection.. and so can have any comb type and any feather color.. also bearded or non, and any skin, or shank, or lobe, or egg color. Differences seen between them are part of what makes them fun birds to keep.

I'm not seeing anything that would allow me to confirm one as a cockerel. Sometimes they do plump up a bit before pinking up the next week, as in the instance of my current young Leghorn. Yellow is good, but I've not seen them pink up quite this early.. though I have had a Silkie start crowing by 3 weeks old!

Still a tad bit too young, I would update when it gets closer to 6 weeks. Look for saddle feathers, if they’re pointing, most likely points to boy.
Gender specific saddle feathers aren't coming in before 9-10 weeks usually closer to 12 and not flowing until closer to 16. Before that (including 6 weeks) they are irrelevant.

If the breed has color differences between male and female.. like red shoulders.. those are often coming in around that 6 week mark.

ETA: Examples from google..
Saddle_1b-462x341.jpg

dcc2600fc0ffe7be9d1ed370658ce943.jpg

Last edited:
EE have NO standard of perfection.. and so can have any comb type and any feather color.. also bearded or non, and any skin, or shank, or lobe, or egg color. Differences seen between them are part of what makes them fun birds to keep.

I'm not seeing anything that would allow me to confirm one as a cockerel. Sometimes they do plump up a bit before pinking up the next week, as in the instance of my current young Leghorn. Yellow is good, but I've not seen them pink up quite this early.. though I have had a Silkie start crowing by 3 weeks old!

Gender specific saddle feathers aren't coming in before 9-10 weeks usually closer to 12 and not flowing until closer to 16. Before that (including 6 weeks) they are irrelevant.

If the breed has color differences between male and female.. like red shoulders.. those are often coming in around that 6 week mark.
Ok.

Back
Top Bottom