Ventilation for winter

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
Hello Everyone. Thank you, in advance, for any insight you may share.

I have read lots on posts and threads on winter ventilation in coops. I live in Central Texas so we only have a few weeks of intense cold (relative, I am sure for those of you in the NE). Anyway, lots of posts say keep the vent "well above" the chicken's heads. My question is what does well above mean in terms of inches? Currently planning on covers for my open vents for those few weeks when or weather will get into the teens. Currently have vents below the roosts and at head level when the chickens roost on top roost bar.

Hello Everyone. Thank you, in advance, for any insight you may share.

I have read lots on posts and threads on winter ventilation in coops. I live in Central Texas so we only have a few weeks of intense cold (relative, I am sure for those of you in the NE). Anyway, lots of posts say keep the vent "well above" the chicken's heads. My question is what does well above mean in terms of inches? Currently planning on covers for my open vents for those few weeks when or weather will get into the teens. Currently have vents below the roosts and at head level when the chickens roost on top roost bar.
Please post pictures of the interior of your coop.
You don't want to cover the vents when it goes into the teens. That completely defeats the purpose of having effective ventilation in the winter.
And the teens is not really cold, just so you know.

Yes, photos, please.

You might find this thread reassuring: https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/25324962
Going in these door, looking left then right. Currently there is no roosting area in the right hand side of the coop. Also, where I have the arrow drawn there is more vent that runs 38"x3.5" at very top of slanted roof. The doors face due north.

Top of roost to bottom of 5" vent is 13 inches; top of vent to ceiling is another 6 inches.

Facts to consider:

I keep the coop extremely clean - I pick up poop every morning and wipe down any residue with water vinegar solution.

The doors face due north

We live on top of a hill and the winds can get ferocious at times including the northern winds in the winter.

I'm sure I need to completely close wall vent at the bottom that would bring cold air up from below them. This vent runs 38" wide and from the top of top roosting bar about 2 inches from floor. Measures 38"x12".

Fairly certain I would need completely close anything facing north.

I can fully or partially close off any other vent.

I also thought about putting a wind turbine on the roof and just drawing any moisture out that way. That would also be a good way to draw more heat out during the awful days of summer here in Central Texas.

I do recognize that the teens are not cold compared to many places which was why I included the word "relative". However, it will be cold to my chickens who have just been through 107 degree days and 89 degree overnights.

As always, thanks for sharing your experiences.

Attachments

• PXL_20220927_184551398.jpg
    PXL_20220927_184551398.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220927_184617198.jpg
    PXL_20220927_184617198.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220927_184703175~2.jpg
    PXL_20220927_184703175~2.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Have you seen my coop ventilation article? It shows how different vent configurations work to create different types of airflow inside the coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

If your high winds come from a consistent direction then you probably will want to close all but the very top vents on that side.

The ultimate test is to measure the temperature and humidity both inside and out -- with your goal being to have them the same -- and to use a light ribbon on a string to see if there are any drafts in the roosting area under different wind conditions. Since my coop is a big walk-in and my roosts are just below my shoulder height, I tested mine by leaving my hair loose on a windy day. ;)

No amount of theory beats that practical test. :D

You can also set up wind baffles in your run area that provide protection at chicken-height. I used straw bales my first year on this property:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-nc-sandhills-version.1431885/#post-23617821

1201201229-jpg.2432861

Yes. I did read your article. Thank you and for your advice here too. I think I know exactly what to do and how to test that now, too. I am not too worried about the run area b/c the free range and spend most of their time close to the house under our decks either to the west or to the east. This is our first year having chickens so I don't know what they will do in the winter months. So if they start hanging out more towards the run during the winter I now know what I can do to help them.

Thanks for your time and advice.

PS...love your blues! :)

Yes. I did read your article. Thank you and for your advice here too. I think I know exactly what to do and how to test that now, too. I am not too worried about the run area b/c the free range and spend most of their time close to the house under our decks either to the west or to the east. This is our first year having chickens so I don't know what they will do in the winter months. So if they start hanging out more towards the run during the winter I now know what I can do to help them.

Thanks for your time and advice.

PS...love your blues! :)

Glad it was helpful to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom