Amfh

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2022
Yorkshire
I recently took in 2 Swedish drakes and I'm making a duck house for them. I plan to get some girls for them soon, but its hard to find any for sale around me. I have a coop to hand that I want to use for now, it would give them about just over 12sqft of space, of course that's just for over night. Unfortunately, because of how the framework is built, I cant get more than about 1.3sqft of ventilation in. However, I saw that the recommended amount of ventilation is 1sqft per bird. I'm in England, the weather is pretty calm, never gets too cold here in the winter. Is 1.3sqft an acceptable amount?
They're currently in a pen in the garage at night, but I want them out of there quickly to recover the space.

Thanks.

I've not heard of standards for how much ventilation. The ventilation is needed to let moisture out. That is likely an issue in England!!

Does the coop have wooden walls? Are you proposing to add a window covered in strong wire mesh or the like? Perhaps post a photo to show us what is the issue.

I would think you should try adding the ventilation and see how the ducks fair. Perhaps you might in the future drill holes round the walls under the roof? Although the coop needs ventilation, you need to keep your ducks draft free too!

Last edited:
I've not heard of standards for how much ventilation. The ventilation is needed to let moisture out. That I likely an issue in England!!

Does the coop have wooden walls? Are you proposing to add a window covered in strong wire mesh or the like? Perhaps post a photo to show us what is the issue.

I would think you should try adding the ventilation and see how the ducks fair. Perhaps you might in the future drill holes round the walls under the roof? Although the coop needs ventilation, you need to keep your ducks draft free too!
It has wooden walls yes. And yes I mean a sort of window with a strong fine mesh over it. It should be fairly free from strong drafts, due to where the coop is positioned in the yard. But that is one of the main concerns I have, in order to get the recommended 2sqft of ventilation I'd be making some pretty big vents on the coop that would leave them more exposed. Is it safer to compromise a little and have a little less ventilation in favour of keeping them sheltered?
In particular, it currently has 1.14 square feet, but I could easily up that to 1.3. Not sure whether to, and whether that will be enough.

I have never heard of the amount of ventilation either. Mine have small openings under the roof, as Ruth explained, not larger screened windows. I don't think you should worry overly much about the exact amount of measured space.

Again, as Ruth said, so long as it's draft free and circulates the air to allow evaporation of moisture, it should be fine.

I have never heard of the amount of ventilation either. Mine have small openings under the roof, as Ruth explained, not larger screened windows. I don't think you should worry overly much about the exact amount of measured space.

Again, as Ruth said, so long as it's draft free and circulates the air to allow evaporation of moisture, it should be fine.
source: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/duck-house-ventilation-question.1131003/
post number 4 onwards

Back
Top Bottom