Vermont

Oh bummer - well - I have way too much work too - I shouldn't have ....

You and Pyxis pick a day and time and place next week - you know I can always do before noon and after 5:30 any day

Does anyone know where I can get some young ducklings asap? I have a day-old Mallard single hatchling that needs some company desperately. Willing to consider other breeds and will drive to pick up most anywhere in New England. Please let me know if you know of any options.

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can get some young ducklings asap? I have a day-old Mallard single hatchling that needs some company desperately. Willing to consider other breeds and will drive to pick up most anywhere in New England. Please let me know if you know of any options.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your little lonely duckling :( You could also use a chick for company too if you can't find another duckling, the duckling won't mind. If you really have trouble I have an order of chicks coming from Greenfire on Tuesday and could spare a chick if you want to buy it from me for what I paid. In the meantime, a mirror, stuffed animal, and a feather duster it can get under will help.

Sorry to hear about your little lonely duckling
sad.png
You could also use a chick for company too if you can't find another duckling, the duckling won't mind. If you really have trouble I have an order of chicks coming from Greenfire on Tuesday and could spare a chick if you want to buy it from me for what I paid. In the meantime, a mirror, stuffed animal, and a feather duster it can get under will help.
That's very kind of you.The feather duster is a great idea! Hadn't thought of that one. Right now he's tucked inside of my down vest and snuggled up against me to stay warm...but I don't have any feathers :)

I could meet on Sunday at 1 or I am coming to Rutland on Monday for a car appt (2:45 should be done around 3:30) if that works :)
Need to see if there are any guys working at tractor supply on monday willing to load a couple bags of feed for me

Hey guys I will be in town today from 12ish-4ish text or message if you want to meet I will not be able to make it back till maybe the weekend, after that I am working 2 weeks in a row and then going to fl fr a week

Hi, I am moving to Williston VT but heard there are black bears there. Do you still have chickens and have you had any problems with bears or coyotes or foxes?... I love my chix and would be so sad if something happened so I am wondering if I shouldn't have any there?

Welcome to Vermont (soon)! What part of town are you moving to (and where from)?

I don't think there are many black bears in Williston. Foxes and raccoons are a threat in most of the state. Coyotes possible depending on where you are.

It is a good idea to build a strong coop, 1/2" hardware cloth over EVERY opening. Use 'poultry' AKA fence staples NOT Arrow staple gun style staples, screws through fender washers or wood screwed over to hole the HC on.

I agree with Bruceha - and never use chickenwire for your chickens - all that does is keep the predators OUT and your chickens captive for them to get - hardware wire/cloth is what you need to keep the fox and such out.

Hawks are migratory around here - so you will see them too - mostly they can be handled by hanging reflective things OR a few wires or net - I don't use any of that - I have a baby monitor and when I hear my roosters give the hawk warning I go out with my dog who loves to bark at the hawks -they only stand that noise for a short while and fly off :)

Welcome !

I think you want to restate this @Metella :
"all that does is keep the predators OUT and your chickens captive for them to get"

Chicken wire keeps chickens where you want them or out of where you don't want them (as long as it is high enough). It will not keep predators out. But I understand what you meant, yep, keeps the chickens in the 'restaurant' for the predators to access.

Back
Top Bottom