Vermont

Pics
Good chilly morning - has anyone found a predator proof lock/latch that won't freeze and is easy to operate in our weather? I have been through two keyed pad locks without success. I am nervous about using a simple carabiner with crafty raccoons around.
We secure the chickens in their coop at night with a lock on the pop door and the attached covered run has it's own lock ... and the exterior egg box has two locks. We have the usual predators (raccoons, fisher cats, fox, etc).

From previous post, thank you MiilesFluffybutt - found the straw at Tractor Supply.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I use these for the nesting box lid. You can turn it, then use a caribiner. I picked up at lowes.

Happy cold Thanksgiving!

Screenshot_20181122-081149_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried this type of carabiner?
71gicEaJtgL._SX466_.jpg

Unsure how it'll operate in winter, but if it freezes it'll just make it that much harder for the raccoons.

When I learned I had raccoons I switched from a simple eye bolt and hook to the latch like Well Seasoned posted with a spring loaded fixed eye hook - something I scavenged from an old boat. It barely fits through the latch so the raccoons gave up trying to get in. Now they just dig around the yard for grubs and spilled feed.

We have used, on all four locked latches, keyed Master locks, all used the same key which was nice in the warmer months. Two of them over a few months of use just spin with the key and freeze very easily. I tried oiling them which helps for a little while but I am finding they are not great quality. We had to take out a heat gun to thaw it and you can imagine what that was like in the cold. We do have the latch, suggested by Well Seasoned previously in this thread, on the bottom of the clean out door along with one of those Master locks on the top latch.
We have five pullets all doing really well so far. This is our first winter with them. All are still laying, I was expecting them to slow down but not these girls so far.
We are going to get a couple of these quality threaded carabiners to try out.
Thank you.

Hello Vermonters! I’m in Windsor County and haven’t gotten my chickens yet. But the Chicken Obsession Virus got me somehow and here I am. We are going to convert my beloved’s parts van into a temporary coop until we can’t stand to look at it any more and we have time to build a nicer one, a year or two.

I’m pretty new in Vermont, and I’m eager to learn about chickens and get to know folks.

Anne

Hi guys! Nice to see some activity on this thread :)

My birds are all doing well, even the ko shamo but those come inside the garage for the winter. The brahmas, ducks, and geese are not bothered a bit by the cold, as usual. And neither are the emus.

Hello, Anne! Windsor County here as well (Chester)! Our Buff Orpingtons have done quite well through the winter...we hope to add some golden-laced Wyandottes this spring to the coop.

I've been doing a lot of reading, and it seems Buff Orpingtons are good beginner chickens, and would work out well in our climate. And Wyandottes are so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom