Very Confused About the Possible Outcome// Phoenixes and OEGB

FrankPrize

Songster
Jul 20, 2018
Hey y’all, I’m very inexperienced when it comes to breeding since all I’ve ever hatched was a clutch of Gold Duckwing OEGB’s and a clutch of Brown Red Ameraucanas. I have a handful of OEGB’s and I’m having a hard time finding a pair for my Fawn Silver Duckwing OEGB cock and I have Blue Wheaten and a Gold Duckwing hens who are also unpaired. I was wondering if anyone would know the outcome of a Fawn Silver Duckwing x Blue Wheaten crossing & a Fawn Silver Duckwing x Gold Duckwing. I also have a Pair of showline BBR Phoenixes that I got from Toni Rivers earlier this year and I plan on buying two more BBR hens to complete a quartet but I just can’t help but wonder: What would be the the product of a BBR Phoenix rooster over a Silver Phoenix hen? Would it be a Gold Phoenix with a lot of white bleeding through? As you can see, I’m kind of clueless in terms of Game bird genetics but I’m more than willing to learn!

F100EEC9-9F4B-46A0-9EF6-EA9C57FD6D4B.jpeg
EE626A7F-A4DC-47E9-A936-015E4C756537.jpeg

BBR Phoenix rooster over a Silver Phoenix hen.... You're dealing with sex linked silver/gold.
All pullets would be BBRs and all cockerels would be silver/gold so they would look like silver duckwing but with a little age they will get a yellowish look where the BBRs are red/gold. They will probably have darker to reddish wing bars.

Fawn Silver Duckwing x Gold Duckwing....
This is also sex linked silver/gold. Opposite of above the pullets will be silver duckwing. And the cockerels the same silver/gold duckwing.
1/2 would be fawn and 1/2 would not be.

Fawn Silver Duckwing x Blue Wheaten....still sex linked silver/gold.
Pullets will be silver and cockerels silver/gold. The rooster will pass fawn to 1/2 the offspring and not to the other half. The hen will do the same with blue. So you could get black, blue, fawn, or fawn/blue.
All the chicks will be wild type/ wheaton. Most will say wheaton is dominate so that should make them look wheaton.
I'll say from what I've crossed its more likely they'll look more wild type (BBR) then wheaton though.

BBR Phoenix rooster over a Silver Phoenix hen.... You're dealing with sex linked silver/gold.
All pullets would be BBRs and all cockerels would be silver/gold so they would look like silver duckwing but with a little age they will get a yellowish look where the BBRs are red/gold. They will probably have darker to reddish wing bars.

This is also sex linked silver/gold. Opposite of above the pullets will be silver duckwing. And the cockerels the same silver/gold duckwing.

Pullets will be silver and cockerels silver/gold. The rooster will pass fawn to 1/2 the offspring and not to the other half. The hen will do the same with blue. So you could get black, blue, fawn, or fawn/blue.
All the chicks will be wild type/ wheaton. Most will say wheaton is dominate so that should make them look wheaton.
I'll say from what I've crossed its more likely they'll look more wild type (BBR) then wheaton though.
Very good post, I would like to point out that Fawn(to my knowledge they are homozygous dun I^d/I^d) when crossed with Blue will yield about 50% Platinum Blue on the black Breast, underside, tail(basically where all of the black/blue/Fawn should be) the rest will be Chocolate/Dun colored on the black Breast, underside, tail

From Right To left(roosters: Silver Duckwing rooster, Chocolate Silver Duckwing cockerels and the four on the left are Khaki/Fawn Silver Duckwing cokerels) Dutch bantams
Khaki1.jpg

Thank you so much! This explanation was very clear and concise and was really helpful.

Very good post, I would like to point out that Fawn(to my knowledge they are homozygous dun I^d/I^d) when crossed with Blue will yield about 50% Platinum Blue on the black Breast, underside, tail(basically where all of the black/blue/Fawn should be) the rest will be Chocolate/Dun colored on the black Breast, underside, tail

From Right To left(roosters: Silver Duckwing rooster, Chocolate Silver Duckwing cockerels and the four on the left are Khaki/Fawn Silver Duckwing cokerels) Dutch bantams
View attachment 1476627
Those Dutch Bantams are gorgeous! Thank you so much for providing pictures.

Did you guys get this knowledge through personal experience or did you have a reference guide? I’d greatly appreciate any recommendation that provides information on chicken genetics—preferably for the layman.

Did you guys get this knowledge through personal experience or did you have a reference guide?
I would have to live for about 200 years if I had to learn what I know about chicken genetics, I can say I have worked with Self Buffs, Barring, Naked Neck, but the rest have been through the great help of the Giants of Chicken Genetics, like Dr. Reginald Punnett, Dr. Carefoot, Brian Reeder and been able to corroborate many of the studies with the experiences of others

Back
Top Bottom