VERY confused by legal speak in Arlington, TX!

FluffYou

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 29, 2012
I am somewhat confused by the "legal speak" of the law in Arlington, TX regarding the keeping of fowl. The law states, and I quote:

Quote:
Now, I took this to mean that you can keep up to four fowl on LESS than 1/2 acre--it is only committing an offense if you "keep or maintain MORE than 4 fowl on 1/2 acre of less at a distance of closer than 50 feet". AKA, you can keep four chickens on less than a half-acre but you need a half-acre to keep over four. Other people on the web, however, are translating this as you must have 1/2 acre to keep up to four rather than "more than four." The above quote is direct from the rule book, Section 5.02-A (exact wording). Here is a link to the actual document: Arlington TX Animal Law PDF

Does anyone else translate it the way I do or am I kidding myself LOL?

Thanks for your help!
Michelle

I agree with you.on less than 1/2 acre you can keep up to 4 Fowl (I assume they don't count wild birds or you better not have a birdhouse or bird feeder, or a tree with a nest). BUT you must be at least 50 feet from your neighbors house, tent, live in camper, guesthouse etc.

RobertH

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio!!

I agree with your interpretation of the law. Under 1/2 acre, up to 4 fowl, and must be 50 ft from neighbor's habitation. Hope you prevail.

I think it is pretty clear.

It states, "if he keeps or maintains more than four (4) fowl on one-half (1/2) acre or less."

It states 1/2 acre or less. That means most people living on a residential lot in Arlington, Texas, can have up to four chickens if he/she can keep the chickens at least 50 feet from a neighbor's habitation.

Those who have more than a 1/2 acre can have more than four chickens. But you would have to find out what the requirements are if you have a residential lot larger than a 1/2 acre.

I am sure there is a noise ordinance that would prevent you from owning a rooster, though.

(I was able to find the information.) You can't have a rooster unless your land is zoned agricultural.

B. Keeps or maintains more than ten (10) fowl on more than one-half (1/2) acre but less than one (1) acre at a distance closer than fifty feet (50') from any habitation located on another's property.

C. Keeps or maintains twenty-five (25) fowl or more on one (1) acre or more at a distance closer than fifty feet (50’) from any habitation located on another’s property.

D. Fails to keep any fowl of the Order Anseriformes from being at large; or

E. Fails to keep any fowl of the Order Galliformes contained within a coop or pen.

F. Keeps or maintains roosters except in an area zoned as agricultural. (Amend Ord 02-109, 10/1/02)

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I am very glad you agree! Now to start planning my coop project...
woot.gif

As far as a rooster I live in Arlington Texas and i can hear a rooster not sure where he is but cant be too far I know we also have neighbors with horses and was told they are grand fathered in so maybe that would be the same with roosters

Back
Top Bottom