Very first bunny babies!

Day seven

They are so precious. Also it seems that one of the kits that appeared to have black fur is actually brown.

Today is day ten- I am behind on posting photos- oops! Their eyes should open today!!!
ya.gif
I am so excited about this!!!
Unfortunately it's dreary and raining here today so far. But at least it isn't as cold.
More photos soon!

yay!! totally post photos when they open! That is one of the most exciting times! Oh, a little tip, if any don't open by day 13 or 14, wet a cotton ball and gently rub their eyes. If they stay closed it means they might have crust and could go blind if not taken care of. I can't wait to see them with their eyes open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day seven

They are so precious. Also it seems that one of the kits that appeared to have black fur is actually brown.
Babies are so cute as they fuzz out.
love.gif

The color-changing baby is a Chestnut (sometimes called a Chestnut Agouti). Rabbits with the Agouti pattern have bands of color on their body hairs. When a Chestnut baby is born, the black tip of the hair is right at skin level, and the skin/coat appears black. As the hair grows, the lighter yellowish middle band is revealed, and the general effect of the coat is a much lighter brown.

One easy way to spot the difference between blacks and chestnuts as newborns is to look at the belly color. Agouti patterned babies have white bellies; self-patterned black babies have black bellies, too.
wink.png

yay!! totally post photos when they open! That is one of the most exciting times! Oh, a little tip, if any don't open by day 13 or 14, wet a cotton ball and gently rub their eyes. If they stay closed it means they might have crust and could go blind if not taken care of. I can't wait to see them with their eyes open!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip. Today they did not have their eyes open, but it did seem to me like they looked partially open just a bit. Tomorrow should be the day!

Babies are so cute as they fuzz out.
love.gif

The color-changing baby is a Chestnut (sometimes called a Chestnut Agouti). Rabbits with the Agouti pattern have bands of color on their body hairs. When a Chestnut baby is born, the black tip of the hair is right at skin level, and the skin/coat appears black. As the hair grows, the lighter yellowish middle band is revealed, and the general effect of the coat is a much lighter brown.

One easy way to spot the difference between blacks and chestnuts as newborns is to look at the belly color. Agouti patterned babies have white bellies; self-patterned black babies have black bellies, too.
wink.png

Oh!
smile.png
That is so cool. Thank you.
The other kit that at first also looked black, has turned into a lovely gray. I will post more photos of them all very soon!

Thanks for the tip. Today they did not have their eyes open, but it did seem to me like they looked partially open just a bit. Tomorrow should be the day!
your welcome :) Thats awesome! I absolutely love baby bunnies. Whenever there are babies in the nest, the best part of the day is checking on them :)

On day nine I got a surprise! Now that they are getting so big, and can hide under one another so easily, I see we have seven kits, not six. I thought there were three white kits, but we have four white, one brown agouti, one gray, and one with spots like momma.

Can't believe how big they have grown in such short time!

Back
Top Bottom