Very First Egg

GreatGranny

Songster
Mar 2, 2017
North Alabama
Wow! We got our very first egg today and I was not expecting this for a while yet!! Are our 23 girls starting to lay? They were 4 months and 1 week old today, so is that very young or is the egg a fluke? The egg is smaller than normal but very pretty, clean and almost perfect!!

Of the 23 hens we have, I am not sure which one laid the egg because we were gone most of the day today and missed the cackle! We also have a variety of hen breeds, so are there any chicken breeds that lay early? I am asking because my sister's chickens did not start laying until they were over 6 months old and the picture below shows our new egg next to one of her hen's eggs! She has some huge chickens but ours are huge as well! :)

0619181852.jpg
0619181852a.jpg

Congrats on your first egg, that is always exciting. It is not uncommon for first eggs to be small, I wouldn't worry about that. Starting to lay varies a lot with individuals and also with breeds. Look for a hen with a red comb, that will likely be the one.

Congrats on your first egg, that is always exciting. It is not uncommon for first eggs to be small, I wouldn't worry about that. Starting to lay varies a lot with individuals and also with breeds. Look for a hen with a red comb, that will likely be the one.
Thanks, townchicks for the info and yes, we do have hens with very red combs and small waddles as well! They have also been making a low raspy singing noise! They are the Barred Rocks! We have 4 of them! :)

I agree that the first eggs that pullets lay can be smaller than normal eggs. They'll probably start laying larger eggs as they get a little bit older.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, Birds of a Feather!! We are very excited here at our new homestead and it was my granddaughter who found the egg! She has helped us with the flock since they arrived back in early February, and it seems quite fitting that she found the first egg! :woot

Back
Top Bottom