Very lethargic doe

So about 1-3 ounces each feeding?
Is formula okay? I've heard some people say it's bad for baby goats?

I think you can buy a special formula for baby goats.

I know the internet has several recipes using cow's milk from the store plus a few other ingredients to make a formula for baby goats.

If you have a female goat giving milk, that would be an excellent choice, but it sounds like you might not.

Even though you say the mother has no milk now, I would suggest checking a few times a day for the next week or so. Her milk supply might just be slow to start, and if she does produce milk you might be able to get the baby nursing, or at least milk her and feed the kid. And of course you wouldn't want her getting mastitis, which is more likely when the udder is full of milk and less likely when the kid nurses or the doe gets milked regularly.

And that baby photo is really cute :love

Baby is doing fine, momma still looks frail and still wants nothing to do with baby. Still hasn't produced any milk.
My other doe that was acting kinda funny too is separating herself from the herd and just puts her head against the wall. She doesnt look pregnant. But her vulva is larger than normal. And has a small udder. But I've never seen her dry up after her first kids she had last year.

Even though the doe has no milk, milk her or try to, twice a day. Sometimes they will come into milk. I had one doe that had no milk but I milked her anyway. The first milking I got one squirt. The next milking I got two. By the end of the month she was milking 12 pounds of milk a day. You will know very soon if there is any hope of her coming into milk. If the first milking you get one squirt and the next milking you get one squirt and there is no increase after a couple days or so, give up. If there is, keep at it.

So about 1-3 ounces each feeding?
Is formula okay? I've heard some people say it's bad for baby goats?
What do you mean by formula? If you mean milk replacer, it can be bad. Some kids can tolerate replacer and some cannot. For one or two kids there is no point of fooling with replacer anyway. Just feed plain old cow milk from the store. If you want to get fancy, you can mix up this. It was concocted by a Boer breeder to feed her orphan kids because Boers produce a richer milk than most dairy goats. You take a gallon jug of store milk. Pour off about a quart. Add a can of evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed) to the jug and a cup of buttermilk. Fill the jug back up with some of the milk you poured off and shake to mix.

Back
Top Bottom