Very loud and consistant chirping?

Lilium28

In the Brooder
May 7, 2016
Hello!

I have an issue with a chick that is constantly and loudly chirping. I have done everything I can to stop this, but it's incessant. There is a heated side and a cooler side for her, there is plenty of food and water, she isn't alone as there are other chicks with her. We thought she was being picked on so we separated her for a time, which didn't stop it. We eventually put her back in wit hthe others because I felt bad for her being alone. We have eleminiated every bit of loud noise we can, as well as changed the environment to be as least threatening as possible to her. I don't know what else to do and it goes all day and all night. She's not sick as she active and standing, she not closing her eyes or looking lethargic in any way. I am at a loss and the really loud chirping is starting to cut into my sleep. I don't know what else to do. Is there something I haven't thought of that could be causing her to be so loud and consistent with her chirping?

If you've checked everything else then I'd say the chick is lonely. If your not willing to put in a friend with it or take the chick everywhere with you, then I would recommend a mirror and a tiny stuffed animal.

How warm is the heated side. Constant chirping can be a sign that a chick is chilled.
Have you checked her for pasty butt?
The heated area is at the proper temperature, I have tested it numerous times...and she's the only one peeping, as the others are fine. As for Pasty butt, I did some research, and she has like a fleck of poop on some of her feathers, but nothing like what is being described...so I can rule that out, for now anyways, I will be watching for it. I'm just not sure what else I can do, nothing else seems wrong with her. Picking her up and carrying her around does nothing as she still chirps rather loudly. I'm at a loss as everything seems normal and yet she is constantly chirping.

I had that happen one time. It was thirsty. When I put it in the brooder I dipped its beak in the water like I do every chick. The other chicks were showing it how to drink by drinking, but it just did not catch on. I eventually dipped its beak in the water again. It stopped chirping and started drinking. It finally caught on. From that and other things that happened later I decided it was not the brightest chick I ever raised. But it did reach maturity.

I don't know how you are offering water but that's my first thought. Try to make sure it is drinking. Maybe it hasn't learned how to eat. Maybe try tapping the food with your finger like you are pecking it. To me that one would be harder.

The others are fine so it is not anything you are doing. You are providing warm and cool that works for the others. I'd use a medicine dropper and give it some sugar water (I use hummingbird liquid) by putting a drop on the tip of its beak and see if it will drink that to get some energy into it. Do not force it down its throat, you'll drown it. Just a drop at a time at the tip of its beak. Either it drinks or it doesn't.

When things like this happen I try to determine if it is a flock issue or an individual bird issue. I see no reason to change things that are working for the flock because something is wrong with an individual. Why mess the rest of them up?

Unfortunately some chicks are just not meant to make it, something is wrong with them. They may not have the instincts they need to survive. There may be something wrong like a birth defect. Unfortunately when you deal with living animals you sometimes have to deal with dead or dying animals. That may be a dog or cat, not just chickens. That doesn't mean you don't try but it does mean you don't have to feel guilty. What you are doing is working for the others. I wish you luck on solving this.

If you dunk her beak in the water and let her drink, and then dip her wet beak in the crumbles, she should figure out how to eat. That's how I train my baby chicks. The crumbles stick to their wet beaks and they manage to swallow some.

Back
Top Bottom