Very loud and continual quacking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mudbillkisses, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    I have been raising ducks on a small scale (2-3 at a time) now for 7 years. I currently have two females: muscovy and Ancona. My Ancona is 3 years old and last year and this year around spring time she starts getting very loud. I live in upstate NY so spring is a drastic shift from winter. I also don't live in the country so I have neighbors I have to be considerate of. This has been constant now for a few months.

She has a loud and peircing quack that gets worse at certain times of the day morning and evening around feeding time. She will also go off when me or my husband come into the yard then she'll calm down.

We hatched her so shes an imprinted duck, usually very sweet and needy... Likes to be around us. It has gotten so bad we thought maybe she was addicted to the meal worms so we stopped giving her those to see if she would get less worked up. It didn't change anything. We feel like we have to walk on egg shells in our own backyard.

A few weeks ago she lost her quack and sounded hoarse... It was so nice not dealing with it. Any suggestions for us? Is this normal... I've never had an Ancona before her.

We are desperate for ideas and insight. Thanks

2. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I'm guessing she wants ducklings! I had one that honked at me (and anyone that got within 10 feet of the coop) for 2 months or so starting in spring (breeding season). She settled down eventually.

3. harmonymw

harmonymw Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Massachusetts
    I guess she needs a boyfriend.

sourland likes this.
  4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Free Ranging

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Muscovy are a total different genus of duck, so the Ancona literally has no one to talk to in duck language. The muscovy is quiet, so she obviously can't squawk about it.

5. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    Somewhere in the mountains
    Can you add another female to your group. How are your Muscovy and Ancona together? Do they hang out to

6. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    You might need another quacky duck.

Mudbillkisses likes this.
  7. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Free Ranging

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    This is literally the same question back to back. I am sure the OP will be back to answer soon enough.
    Let's get some coffee while we wait.
    :caf ;)

chickens really likes this.
  8. MuddyHillFarm

MuddyHillFarm Chirping 6 Years

Jan 15, 2012
    Rincon, GA
    We have Muscovy and pekins. The pekins like to play the game of marco polo. one quacks and other returns the quack. Muscovy just wag their tails and stretch their necks :)

9. Cairns.Lowe1

Cairns.Lowe1 In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2018
    She might be alone and lonely so I guess the if you take a drake she would be fine

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

Hello..Duck Hens Quack loud. Not much you can do to stop the quacking either. Muscovy are not loud like Mallard derived breeds.

Soon2BChixMom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: