Very loud and continual quacking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mudbillkisses, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    I should clarify- the three male muscovies were ducklings and siblings of Lucy. We found them a new home when Lucy was big enough to be with Persi unattended. We even tried to keep one muscovy male but it was too much for poor persi and he was a bit aggressive with my husband, despite being hand raised. So we quickly found him a new home.

2. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    That makes sense! We never intended to mix them but Persi's biological sister died suddenly and we had to find Persi a companion. The opportunity came for muscovies, which we really enjoy, but had no idea the communication would be an issue. They forage together and spend time together but they are the least bonded of any pair I've had. I just figured that was because of how Lucy was introduced given persi's loss of her sister.

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  3. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Sounds like the quacking is something new, but your Ancona isn't super young then If your Ancona is 3 and the muscovy is 2? If it was a communication problem, she probably would have spoken up sooner. It really could be anything. We are all backyard duck and chicken owners - so just throwing out ideas.
    I have a chicken that squawks louder when she sees me. :confused:
    Also, we had a fox close by and I didn't know it. She kept sounding an alarm cackle. One morning I spotted the fox, but haven't seen it since. I think she was telling her chicken pals it was out there.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Birds of a Feather

How do your Muscovy and your Ancona interact with each other? Are they buddies?

One of my Muscovy ducks hatched some Runners and Buffs well actually 3 brooded the eggs but one really connected to the ducklings more so than the other 2 Muscovy's she still will hang out with them.If I didn't have any other Muscovy's she would probably be okay with just the Runners and Buffs. Not sure how one of the Runners or Buffs would do with just a Muscovy to hang out with. I would think after a while though being as they really need each other since they are flock birds that there would be a bond formed.? Just guessing.

5. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    I appreciate the ideas very much! If I had room for more ducks and was in a more rural area I would love that! She didn't do this the first year but last year and this year she has. She could be lonely with the communication issues but then when I come near her she will quack like she's irritated and wants me to leave. Other times she won't let me get too far out of her sight and wants to sit near by. And she'll be sweet if I pick her up. I'm confused too! She only quacks like that if we are outside... When we are inside, it's quiet.

She has done the "alarm" quack for us too. It wasn't a predator but the gate had come open and she let me know from inside. Smart little animals.

6. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    Hopefully she helps you figure out her problem. ;)

CayugaJana and Mudbillkisses like this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

If she bothers you so much?..Rehome her. Seriously it's all that you can do...:frow

8. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    Sorry I missed this somehow. They do hang out... It's a mix. They forage together and nap together but then other times myscovy will forage and Persi will nap. They aren't always on the same page. Lucy is more active than Persi (ancona) overall. They "mate" with muscovy on bottom on a pretty regular basis. Sometimes Lucy (muscovy) gets territorial over the good especially if shes broody.

9. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    I figured there was some insight that could help... Without it being all or nothing. I won't rehome her.

Animal family and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    Yeah, that mating happens when there isn't a drake to do so ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: