Very loud and continual quacking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mudbillkisses, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    Somewhere in the mountains
    I think most of us do leave feed out during the day my main reason is they are laying so I feel they need the nourishment, and they get hungry.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    CrystaBub and Mudbillkisses like this.
  2. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    Ok, thanks! I tend to agree with that. I've seen a few different perspectives here on the forum on that. Do you find that other animals eat the food considerably like squirrels?

3. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Maybe the Ancona sees you and just likes to hear herself, and wants you to hear her? Do you react when she is doing it? Animals tend to feed off of our energy as well.

4. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    I leave feed out all day - they don't get any once they are tucked into their house for the night though.

Mudbillkisses, CrystaBub and Jpat like this.
  5. CrystaBub

CrystaBub Introducing Rosy and Posy!

Mar 17, 2018
    Shenandoah Valley
    Same here. Food all day but not at night.

Mudbillkisses and Lil Drake40 like this.
  6. Lil Drake40

Lil Drake40 Crowing

Apr 25, 2018
    Somewhere in the mountains
    I imagine it’s a problem anytime we sit food out. I feed the wild birds because I enjoy it but it helps keep them out of the feed I put out for the flock. Other animals like squirrels chipmonks not much we can do about them.

Mudbillkisses likes this.
  7. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    It took me a few days to respond here but during that time I was able to spend more time outside and made an effort to really talk to her and interact more than is usually feasible during the day/work week. Especially during times when she was more relaxed- and lower energy. This helped and seemed to put a chink in the crazy quacking feedback loop! I think you are spot on. She has always responded to my voice, with various quacks but when this yelling quack started it seemed she didn't want us around. So when she would do this immediately after seeing us and wouldn't settle down, I would leave (and she would stop). Ducks can be relationally complex animals too. Go figure.

8. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    Glad to hear that you figured her out! My drake gets all excited with his tail wagging and whispering quacks when he sees me too. The girls are excited too, but usually not as excited as he is. I have a hen that squeals every time she hears me come out the side garage door.
    Animals definitely are interesting and funny!

CrystaBub likes this.
  9. Mudbillkisses

Mudbillkisses Chirping

Feb 21, 2016
    Leaving food out never used to be an issue until now- I have a few squirrels who will eat most if not all of the food so I have a hard time gauging if she's getting so worked up when she sees us because she's hungry. Even though she shouldn't be because I have been leaving food out- damn squirrels can really put away layer feed ; )

PirateGirl and CrystaBub like this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Stinkers. Only other option would be to get one of hose grandpa feeders that they have to step on before it will open for the feed.

CrystaBub likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: