Very low egglaying numbers

Rrwky

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2015
Hi,

I recently moved to a very rural area in the southeast after living in the city. I am enjoying my new experiences, but I have a lot to learn.

Currently have four hens (one Golden Comet and three Rhode Island Reds). The Comet has been around for several seasons, but this is the Reds' first season. We recently went from getting about three eggs a day to one or two, sometimes none. The Comet pretty much lays one a day, but I don't know what's going on with the Reds? Out of three of them, we usually get one egg a day or none. Any suggestions as to why the change?

I started a blog to catalogue my experiences moving from urban to rural life at newrurality.blogspot.com. Check it out and let me know what you think.

How recent is "recent?" Did you move the birds with you? Abrupt changes in routine can cause a drop in laying, as can molting or less daylight in winter.

How recent is "recent?" Did you move the birds with you? Abrupt changes in routine can cause a drop in laying, as can molting or less daylight in winter.
I've only been here a few months, but my family has lived here for years. The chickens have been here all along. Thanks for your tips.

Back
Top Bottom