Very noisy bantam chicks- Help!

Pics

TopazMaster91

Songster
Oct 21, 2019
Lakeland, FL
Hello, long-time lurker- Nice to finally be joined up here!
27 years old, have three 7 months old pullets, and some newer additions:
I just signed up specifically to ask this question, we have five chicks
(OEGB, Japanese bantam(male), 2x Cochin frizzle bantams, one Polish standard)
all currently housed together in a large dog cage in the living room while we are building a new coop and run, this is the best we can do at the moment.
(optimally we would've had them outside already as they are around 7 weeks old, but between my mother impulse-buying five chicks at random and us needing to build new housing for them, they've been stuck inside longer than I would've liked them to be)
I've researched extensively on how to properly take care of them and keep
them as comfortable as possible until we get them outside and integrated,
they always have food and water access, very occasional treats, and we let them roam the living room once a day for awhile, we keep the cage clean.
We recently turned off the heat lamp, they're old enough now, but I think the
darkness of the living room at night and/or the absence of the heat from the lamp is making them uncomfortable, for the past five days or so once we turn all the lights off, even if they are tired already(!), they begin a LOUD chorus of peeping for anywhere between 5-15 minutes. It's honestly not too annoying, and they're obviously not in danger or in need of anything specific, and they're completely fine during the day, happily doing chick things, but the tiny male Japanese bantam in particular is EXTREMELY loud. I mean, he's always the loudest and noisiest no matter the time of day, but when we go lights out,
he seriously ups the volume until I guess they all decide to go to sleep.

If I'm doing anything wrong or could do better, or if this is normal behavior while they get used to real darkness at night with no heat lamp, I'd really like to know;
don't hold back, please let me know if all's well or if I can do anything better!
Thanks,
- David :).

This is totally normal especially if they aren't accustomed to darkness.
It will get better, just get some earplugs for a week or so until it does.:)
I know this because my chicks do the same darn thing when I cut their light and start getting them ready to go chicken for themselves.

Thanks for the (quick!) response!
I hope you're correct, I have a feeling you are,
but it never hurts to be sure, and loud peeping chicks definitely make me a bit nervous, haha :).
I guess we'll all try to hold onto our sanity and hearing until we manage to get this thing built up and running for them, I can't wait to get them into a natural environment, even though I'll probably be back here again asking integration questions once it happens, depending on how it all goes, lol.

Hang in there, it is hard I know those OMG it is DARK peeps are blood curdling.
It is one of the reasons im thinking of using one of the little heat cave type deals instead of a light next hatch.
It will be easier if we establish darkness is their buddy waaaay before they develop such impressive lung power.:D
Thanks for the (quick!) response!
I hope you're correct, I have a feeling you are,
but it never hurts to be sure, and loud peeping chicks definitely make me a bit nervous, haha :).
I guess we'll all try to hold onto our sanity and hearing until we manage to get this thing built up and running for them, I can't wait to get them into a natural environment, even though I'll probably be back here again asking integration questions once it happens, depending on how it all goes, lol.

Hang in there, it is hard I know those OMG it is DARK peeps are blood curdling.
It is one of the reasons im thinking of using one of the little heat cave type deals instead of a light next hatch.
It will be easier if we establish darkness is their buddy waaaay before they develop such impressive lung power.:D

Oh definitely, if we ever PLAN on buying chicks again or mom goes and impulse buys again, we are NOT gonna use a heat lamp, anything else from the start over all this peeping right now, haha X)

The chicks might benefit from having something to perch on. They have instincts that make them want to be up off the ground for protection.

I have a good sized stick I found outside that I tied to/between the bars, they perch on it all the time and sleep on it as well :)
even the frizzles manage to jump up there!

Hello, long-time lurker- Nice to finally be joined up here!
27 years old, have three 7 months old pullets, and some newer additions:

If I'm doing anything wrong or could do better, or if this is normal behavior while they get used to real darkness at night with no heat lamp, I'd really like to know;
don't hold back, please let me know if all's well or if I can do anything better!
Thanks,
- David :).

A HUGE BYC welcome to you - both Welcome to the Group ... and Welcome to the World of Bantams! Many people think that smaller chickens + smaller noise level, but ... not so much! Their voices may be a bit lower, decibel wise, but they make up for it in the more shrill edge. Think - Bloodhound vs Beagle (or Yorkie) barks. With that qualified, I have to say that I LOVE my bantams! Every last one of them has an awful lot of personality ... and just like yours, when theyre youngsters, they were VERY vocal at bedtime. It's almost like having little children begging for, "Just five more minutes, Mom, then I'll go to sleep ... I PROMISE!"

A HUGE BYC welcome to you - both Welcome to the Group ... and Welcome to the World of Bantams! Many people think that smaller chickens + smaller noise level, but ... not so much! Their voices may be a bit lower, decibel wise, but they make up for it in the more shrill edge. Think - Bloodhound vs Beagle (or Yorkie) barks. With that qualified, I have to say that I LOVE my bantams! Every last one of them has an awful lot of personality ... and just like yours, when theyre youngsters, they were VERY vocal at bedtime. It's almost like having little children begging for, "Just five more minutes, Mom, then I'll go to sleep ... I PROMISE!"

Thank you thank you, glad to finally be joined up here :) I've been lurking for over half a year, just didn't have much to say yet- was busy learning everything I could first :p.
Oh yes, I love the little bantam chickies, they're adorable!
Especially the little OEGB, she's so chill and relaxed, I can pick her up, pet her, she hops onto my legs, etc. The little Japanese guy is seriously the noisiest chick I have ever heard, he is CONSTANTLY vocalizing, it's actually hilarious but oh man, what does he have so much to say about?! Lol.
The buff Polish chick isn't a bantam but she's my possible lap chicken out of the group, she comes to me when I call her, talks back to me when I talk to her, jumps all over my lap, lays down on me, likes getting pets and so on :).
There are definitely size and space advantages to bantams, for sure, and they're super cute, so even though the timing was terrible, I'm still glad about my mom and her impulse-buying, lol.

Back
Top Bottom