Very noisy bantam chicks- Help!

I hope they settle down soon too, for your sake! Consider investing in a white noise machine. It really helps to drown out their peeps. Even just a fan might be enough.:hugs

The living room unfortunately has excellent acoustics, we were going to try to watch a movie last night, but they just would-not-stop! We gave in, turned off the TV, and let them peep it out until they fell asleep, lol ~ Having the A/C running drowns them out a bit, makes it harder to hear them from my room, the fan is also a good idea X)

Im shook and floored, im proud and you're not my kid.
Just knee jerk appreciation that can't be helped I suppose.
Anyways, welcome to the nuthouse please feel free to hang around, you don't even need a chicken crisis.:)
Oh, almost forgot if they get super loud lay your hand flat on their backs like making a hen's bottom with your hand.
Let them settle and slowly remove your hand and enjoy the silence "hopefully"
My family is very luckily pretty normal and stable, I also have a little bro in college right now :). I had my share of self-created problems when I was a teenager/very young adult, put my parents through plenty of hair-raising crap, wasted some time after high school, bailed out of college, but I got my crap together eventually, I just had bad luck/judgment with the girl and the crap job that I spent years on, so I'm trying to get to the point where I can sustain myself (and chickens!) without relying on help or luck, and a warehouse job is NOT the way to do that X). I'm a pretty fast learner when I am interested in something, I self taught myself Japanese to the point where I can read, write, speak, listen conversationally, so I know I can teach myself coding and programming, I've always been pretty good with computers :). Computers are everywhere now, so it seemed like a good field to get into- jobs everywhere, always people needed!
57b29eb99bf37587620cc4f5646062df--home-stores-designs.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see you here. I brood my chicks in the house using the heating pad cave. I ease my chicks into dark. I turn out the overhead light, but leave a lamp on. About an hour later, I turn off the lamp and cut on the hall light. A little later, I cut that off. They still fuss a little, but within 5 minutes they have quieted down for sleep. May be overkill, but I try to simulate sundown, dusk and dark.

Im shook and floored, im proud and you're not my kid.
Just knee jerk appreciation that can't be helped I suppose.
Anyways, welcome to the nuthouse please feel free to hang around, you don't even need a chicken crisis.:)

View attachment 1940776

I appreciate it! It's always cool to know when you're doing something good and right for yourself, so thank you :)
Oh yes I'll stick around, like I said, I've become a bit obsessed with chickens :p

Glad to see you here. I brood my chicks in the house using the heating pad cave. I ease my chicks into dark. I turn out the overhead light, but leave a lamp on. About an hour later, I turn off the lamp and cut on the hall light. A little later, I cut that off. They still fuss a little, but within 5 minutes they have quieted down for sleep. May be overkill, but I try to simulate sundown, dusk and dark.

Thanks! Yeah, in the future I'll definitely go for a heating pad, the lamp seems to make this more difficult for no good reason, haha.
Ahh that's a good idea! We have a big sliding glass door so we usually don't have the living room light on in the middle of the day, only around 6-7pm or so when the sun starts going down, so maybe if we didn't leave any lights on nearby during the evening they would ease more naturally into it :)

Oh, you really think his noise and laptop won't bother them much? I just wondered whether or not it kept them up and thus peeping, if it doesn't that's great, less to worry about :p

There is noise in an outside coop, too. At our place the wind blows, stuff rattles around and sometimes the horses rustle in their stalls. The light changes with the moon. So I don’t think your father will be a problem. His noise might even be comforting.

Your one loud guy might be a little chilly. Does he have all of his feathers yet?

There is noise in an outside coop, too. At our place the wind blows, stuff rattles around and sometimes the horses rustle in their stalls. The light changes with the moon. So I don’t think your father will be a problem. His noise might even be comforting.

Your one loud guy might be a little chilly. Does he have all of his feathers yet?

Good point, us walking around and talking doesn't bother them in the least, but some of the videos my dad watches at full volume are a bit loud, noisy, full of cross-talk and a ton of things happening all at once; I'm probably overthinking it, lol.
Yeah they all have their feathers, and they tend to sleep either cuddled up together or smooshed side by side on the roost, so I don't think he could be too cold, not at this age- they were already naturally distancing themselves from the areas most heated by the lamp while sleeping at night before we took it away.

Awesome! Welcome to the dark side,:)
Uhhh I mean welcome to BYC! :gig
Oh, and before anybody says a darn thing i'm a fan of fat roosters.

I appreciate it! It's always cool to know when you're doing something good and right for yourself, so thank you :)
Oh yes I'll stick around, like I said, I've become a bit obsessed with chickens :p

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom