Very poorly 6 month amber white please help!

how many days liquids? and im presuming this is water and probiotics? and how much a day?....and on what day do i move onto solids and again how much daily? thank you x

I have a 6 month old amber white, approx 3 weeks ago we noticed she was losing tons of feathers, keeping herself separate from the other chickens (5) and one chicken had a go at her. After examining we found out she had chicken lice and treated daily with diatom, the feather situation stablised but she was not happy so i brought her inside (approx 7 days ago). She is in my studio in a dog crate, padded and with a perch put up. The heating is on 27 and it is toasty. So far i have given her an epsom salt bath and blow dry, treated for leg mites (just in case?) and she is on day 3 of a worming programme (flubernet?)....i expected to see tons of worms in her poo but am unsure if there are any....if there are they are hair worms (but she is not gasping). her eyes are shiny and her face is not swollen. Her comb is a much better colour (was purple then very pale and now pretty much normal, but not standing proud). I thought she would be doing better than she is...she has very little interest in food, practically none for the past 2 days. i have tried her with meal worms, yogurt, rice, cabbage, sweetcorn, scambled egg and strawberries. today she has eaten one strawberry and 6 mealworms. she is drinking small amounts (the water has some type of chicken tonic in it). Im at a total loss. i have spoken to the chicken welfare people who said to feed her pellets as balanced but she wont touch them. they suggested a vet but my vets aren't great with chickens and i don't want to distress her further. her poo is green and watery with white in and she slipped twice when she was out today (not outside too cold, but out of her crate). she is tired, but then will sort of wake up look around and take a few steps and stop again. She is outrageously thin. Any suggestions as i don't know what to try next :'(
Hope she ends up all right!

how many days liquids? and im presuming this is water and probiotics? and how much a day?....and on what day do i move onto solids and again how much daily? thank you x
I use Pedialyte for 8-24 hours then baby bird food and Pedialyte at about 30ml/kg 3-4 times a day, sometimes more, sometimes less.

-Kathy

Urgent! does anyone know where i can obtain a crop feeding tube from in the UK?? all i can find on the internet is stainless steel ones! or minute ones for canary. i am so stressed :(...i've now got the programme and can't locate the equipment. I have to say the UK is seeming appalling for this...

You could use aquarium air line or the stuff they sell in hardware stores that people use to hook up drinking water to their fridge, you just have to take a lighter and melt the end so that it's smooth enough for their throats.

-Kathy

Last edited:
would you go for 2mm or 4mm or larger than that :) and i'll get onto ordering. i do appreciate all your advice...its heartbreaking seeing her like this​

The largest catheter that I use is a size 30 french, but I think that's a little big for someone to start with, so I would get a size 18. Anything smaller than a 16 will be too hard to get food through, possible, but hard. Here are some french sizing charts/pictures:

French
Gauge Diameter
(mm) Diameter
(inches)
3 1 0.039
4 1.33 0.053
5 1.67 0.066
6 2 0.079
7 2.3 0.092
8 2.7 0.105
9 3 0.118
10 3.3 0.131