Very proud of myself - just opened unhatched eggs

Quote:
I will thanks. I have a special needs chicken with a splayed leg. I raised her from a 3 day old chick. Was never able to fix the problem but she is a happy, egg producing house chicken now
big_smile.png
I have the little one in with the others that hatched last night. They seem to be trying to move with her so maybe that will work. The legs are under her, she just can't get up completely on them yet.

It was hard for me to do but I am glad I did. I wish I had for the first hatch I did two weeks ago. I'm new to hatching so it's a learning experience. I wasn't going to open them but I realized I wasn't going to learn if I didn't. It wasn't too bad after I did the first one, which was unfortunately the one that never pipped but was fully formed. I figure it might have been the Serama lethal gene. The second one that was wet was turned the wrong way. I opened the large end of the egg and that was where the back of the chick was so I guess it never turned. The one that was oozing red goo I just didn't bother to open. I figured wet goo wasn't good lol.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I couldn't do it the first hatch a couple weeks ago. I just put the eggs in baggies and didn't think about it. I think I did this time because I was having so a hard time with the hatch. I thought maybe another baby was alive and I had to get it out but it ended up being something else too.

Quote:
have you tried a dry hatch?? i have really good luck with them....i put eggs in incubator without any water , i have two of the 42 egg table tops with temp automatically set. on day 18 i remove the eggs from the incubator with no water and place in the second incubator with a small amt, of water in the small section of the pan. have great hatches. the first incubator has an autmatci egg turner. just think when chcikens set on eggs they do not have water in the nest. really makes sense to me and really works out well.

I have thought about that now that I have been reading more and more about it. I can't do it yet because I have the incubator full but I think I will next time. I am getting a Brinsea Oct 20 Advanced on Friday. I'm assuming you can do dry hatches with those as well? When you put the eggs into lockdown, what humidity do you set it at?

Thought I'd share the little ones from this hatch. The eggs are from MiMis_Place - great eggs!

The gang minus the one still trying to find its legs. All unnamed except for Dina, the one on the far left. She hatched night before last.
DSC00318.jpg

This is the little one that just hatched around 4pm today. It's very active just hasn't figured it out yet
DSC00313.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

This is the one I didn't think was going to make it. It was really struggling the night it hatched but is now the most active and social in the brooder! I think it looks like Rudolph lol.
DSC00312.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

Back
Top Bottom