Very Rare Korean Ogol Chicken

Theres a Sweedish black skinned chicken
wink.png

You sometimes see black skinned chickens for sale at the markets here in Thailand. Apparently the Chinese population enjoy the black meat but I was under the impression they were silkies?

I must admit, they don't look very appetizing to me..
lol.png

I was stationed in the Central Highlands in Nam in 67 they had this black poultry in abundance. When I TDYed to Udorn Thailand they had the same chickens. Didn't know (or cared at the time) what they were, but they sure weren't silkies. You're right about the taste, slightly flat, no fat, but at the time I didn't mind. Back in Ban Me Thou Vietnam the "other" local chickens looked like Red Jungle Fowl only more skinny. Those seemed to be more free range (wild) than the black chickens which were semi contained. Yes, the locals DID fight the Jungle Fowl.

My wife ( the one who didn't want me to get chickens but has mellowed ) wants me to get Korean Ogol chickens next year. Are any of these in the United States? They are pretty rare even in Korea.

Here is a link: http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/view.php?tid=2&did=12529

These
are really a black chicken, black skin, black bones, black meat.

I have searched BYC, the internet, found zero for sources.

I doubt they could be imported as I looked on the USDA site and Korea is on the no-no list for Avain Flu.

Any help on finding these would be appreciated.

I have a chick that I hatched out. Not sure of sex. But I ordered eggs from a breeder. Pm if you want to know more. They date further than silkies and cousins to ayam and honas.

Hey, I know I'm a bit late on this post, but I live in California and I actually raise Ogol chickens, they exist in America and I actually just hatched 18 out, if you are still looking for them

Back
Top Bottom