Very Serious Cat Problem.......Could Use Advice ASAP UPDATE

Most of the food prescribed or recommended by vets is garbage. They get their nutritional training (about 1 hour in vet school) from the manufacturers who make the garbage.

Thank you all for your feedback on this serious issue.

For today I am going to give Julie 1/2 of a benedryl. I know I can do this because it's what the vet recommended in WI. to get her here to our home in AR. 12 hour drive for a cat that can't stand travelling.

Right now we are having an addition built and my day is full but I have to get groceries at some point. I will get a new cat food and see if it helps.

I think I will try a different vet but I hope it's not going to be another huge bill. I personally think it's a mental thing and can't afford to keep spending money on her.

I will try anything that's within reason but I do remind myself that if we hadn't taken her 13 years ago, she likely would have been euthanized.

DH is not pressuring me here.......it's just that he knows I am having difficulty breathing since she started this again, and his concern is for my health.

Thanks to all so much,

Mary

Julie and I just had our Benedryl............if this is an allergy it should temporarily stop it.

Now, I'm gonna get tired........darn!!!

I will report back and let you all know if it helps her.

Quote:
No, haven't switched either for years.

Sorry about your poor little cat. I'd like to point out that just because you haven't changed her food it doesn't mean to say the ingrediants in the food haven't been changed. There's been a lot of pets killed lately with inferior ingrediants subbed in supposedly high quality pet food.

I also found this on line which you may want to read through:
http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf

Good luck with her.

Quote:
OH MY GOODNESS! My 7 year old dog's thyroid went bonkers last year, when he was 6-1/2 years old, and he is on thyroid medicine for the rest of his life now. I used Frontline on him for his entire life. Now I have to wonder...
somad.gif

I have made my own dog food since the recall 3 years ago. I even sell it to friends and a neighbor. I noticed a huge difference in my dogs after starting them on it.

Unfortunately, Julie won't touch anything but dry cat food.

Maybe I shouldn't say it here but I don't trust CHINA or the FDA!

It could be a food allergy... even if she's eaten the same food all her life, as they age, things change... try a different brand/formula.

She also may have developed an auto-immune disease (as had my 9 yr old Main Coon mix)

Take her to the vet for blood tests.. the next stage (if she has it) will be bald patches and loosing her teeth.. don't let it get to that!

She will need hydrocortosone shots if it is whats wrong-- 2-4x a year... no biggie.... my Wrongway is SO much better now, all her hair is back and eats well despite having to have 8 teeth removed and 3 fell out...
sad.png

They DO get fat tho-- so you'll want to switch her food to a weight-control + hairball formula....

Good Luck hun!

she needs a steroid shot called depo medrol, that may stop the behavior and if it is her skin that will help with that, i've seen cats come in that would like the hair of their bellies, talk to your vet and see about it:)

They DO get fat tho-- so you'll want to switch her food to a weight-control + hairball formula...

Weight control cat food is a sure path to feline diabetes and increasing neurotic behavior. The only way they lose weight on weight control cat food is if you severely limit their intake. You basically starve them. What little food they do get is mostly corn.

Cats are carnivores. The need MEAT. Their entire body is designed to run off of meat and fat. Carbohydrates make them fat and sick.​

Back
Top Bottom