Very Serious Cat Problem.......Could Use Advice ASAP UPDATE

Quote:
Yes, I will do that and thanks.

The good news is that after her second dose of Benedryl she is at my feet right now NOT LICKING. She is also being playful. I use to ruff and tumble her and she loves that.

This morning I thought putting her down was inevitable.....but now thanks to all of you I do have to say it's more hopeful. The Benedryl is helping me too.....but Julie and I can't take that forever.

If the food change doesn't work I will take her to the vet. Wonder if I could try making her ground turkey as in people food. It would be affordable and it's all protein. I know she won't like it at first but if that's all she has she might have to eat it eventually. Should I just try that first?

I work in the pet food industry and was actually at a meeting last night discussing this very issue. I don't think she can live on meat alone forever, I would think that she would need vitamins and minerals from cat food to stay healthy - but I am not a vet so you may want to discuss that with your vet. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt her temporarily though.
smile.png

Are you anywhere near a Petco? They sell Natural Balance food, which has limited ingredient formulas for cats with allergies. If you don't, you can probably order it online.

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/catformulas/allergy.html

Even if you do the turkey thing, still mix it with her regular food because you will be changing meat proteins and it could upset her tummy to do a sudden switch. BEST WISHES!

We have a petco opening here on the 10th. Lucky for me, huh. I'll give that food a try. We have a All Pet and Equine store here that might sell it too. I'll call in the morning. Thanks.

Wow, that is lucky for you! I don't work for Natural Balance but I've used it for one of my dogs that has allergies. I sure hope she'll eat it without much fuss and it helps her, which will help you too!
smile.png

I hope you can figure out what is going on. As far as her bothering you at night, is there a basement, or a room on the other side of the house you could put her at night? We have to put our three cats in the basment every night otherwise they run around and then thump the door for food at 4am. The litterboxes are down there, and they have water so they just hang out down there so we can sleep.

Quote:
No........she's been sleeping in our room all these years........we tried it and she scratches and pines for us all night. I think the benedryl will get her to stop the licking long enough for me to find a more suitable food. I have a mini poodle who starts the bed romping at 3 am so I'm used to that. Animals........can't live with them.....can't live without them. Kinda like men!

My chickens are better behaved most of the time.......Wonder what Cesar Millan would think of me...............
ep.gif

I just looked up the ingredients on the Natural Balance cat food. Not too shabby. While I am not crazy about canola oil, it is still better than corn or soy in a food mix. Lard, or some type of fish oil would be much better.

Our oldest cat "Maggie" has done a lot better since we changed her food, but before then..I finally found that slathering her in olive oil helped a lot..
So till you find a food that agrees with your kitty, maybe the olive oil would help?
Dunno, just a thought..
I agree on the second opinion with a different vet..
Our original vet said she was having flea allergies..
Prescribed flea stuff, it just made her worse..
All crusty and even bleeding sores..
She is much better now..

Back
Top Bottom