Very sick 10 month old EE, can barely stand, lethargic, drooping wings, and more

Our local feed store had a “poultry and garden dust” permethrin. I have not applied it myself, but was told by an experienced farmer that they take them out of the coop one at a time, then holding by the feet gently flip upside down, and dust thoroughly. He puts a thin cotton sock over their head before flipping so it protects their nasal passages and respiratory tract. They have two people working together so one is holding and one is dusting.
Glad your Ducky is better!
Hm our tractor supply is over an hour away so we don’t go there often and whenever we do we buy lots of stuff that can last us a while, but for some reason I didn’t think of lice or bug spray. I think I just need to work with what I ordered or see if amazon perhaps has a poultry permethrin I can order....

And thank you for your comment about Ducky!!😁

We have 2 really mean hens in the flock and they were bullying her when she was half dead when I found her, so she’s in a dog crate by herself in the garage right now. I’ve actually noticed the problem; it’s that she has lice on her. That explains lots of her behaviors and why we thought she had worms but we saw none in her poop. This is my first time dealing with a chicken that has lice but I hope I’m doing good, I’m basically just ruffling Diatomaceous Earth in her feathers and put some in the coop of the rest of the flock
DE will not be enough for lice infestation, she needs Poultry Dust with PERMETHRIN!!! Dust her really good and rub it in!!! Clean out old nesting box material and dust it well with the Permethrin and then add fresh material. Also give her feed with water mixed so it is like baby food.

As far as pesticides go, permethrin is not as bad as some, but it is pretty harsh so I can understand your reluctance to use it. However if you want to use less harsh methods that are likely to be a little less effective, you'll need to clean out the entire coop and treat all the chickens. Lice will hide in the bedding and keep coming back no matter how many times you dust Ducky, and the other chickens likely have some too, it just hasn't reached the point where they're acting sick yet.

I would get all the chickens out of the coop, treat them all with the essential oil mix you bought on Amazon, then clean out the entire coop, spray it with the same stuff, and put all new bedding in. And maybe add some DE to the bedding as well for good measure, so that they'll kick it up when they scratch. Then monitor for a few days and see if you're still seeing live bugs.

Try vitamin E maybe? Before my hen Ducky was sick like this, one day her wing was like broken, it wasn’t drooping, but she couldn’t close it. However 30 minutes later it fixed itself?
Stop all the stuff,yogurt sounds good.if u want Greek yogurt,buy full fat plain yogart turn upside down,cheese cloth,or strainer(cheaper)good for every body.

Back
Top Bottom