Very sick chick. Please help.

tawirth604

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
Please someone help. I have a 4 week-old-chick that is very sick. When we came home last night, she was acting very lethargic. I noticed that the watered got knocked over, and she did feel cold. I held her to warm her up and separated her and gave her vitamin water and food. She has been drinking a lot but not eating minus a few bites that I don’t even think count. She has a lamp on her as well. I gave her some Nutri-Drench a little bit ago. Anything else I can do? :(

I would get her dried and keep the heat on her until she is doing better. The NutriDrench is good, and get her drinking some fluids when she is warm. You may want to purchase a gallon waterer which is heavier, and change it when gets below 1/2 full to keep it from turning over when they perch on it. I hope she gets better soon. These are the ones I get for under $6:

https://www.ruralking.com/miller-mf...xxOv8bLNiBGS1pjwBRRS1djLZSbOvw1xoCl0AQAvD_BwE

You can try some scrambled egg or hard boiled egg yolk. Or mix some of her feed with a bit of yogurt to tempt her to eat a bit more. Post some pics of her, and her poop. There may be clues that someone will see. Have any of the others shown symptoms or changes in behavior? What is the temperature where they are kept?

You can try some scrambled egg or hard boiled egg yolk. Or mix some of her feed with a bit of yogurt to tempt her to eat a bit more. Post some pics of her, and her poop. There may be clues that someone will see. Have any of the others shown symptoms or changes in behavior? What is the temperature where they are kept?

Everyone else is perfect. Her poop has been white but kind of milky. She’s not pooping a lot, either. The temp is about 70 plus the house temp is 70.

Is she dry now? It might need to be closer to 80 until she is dry, and make sure they have a cooler spot to get to. Although her lethargy was due to being wet and cold, at this age coccidiosis can sometimes cause lethargy, loss of appetite, standing around hunched or puffed up, and runny poops with mucus or sometimes, blood. Once she is warm and taking some food, it may be more easily to tell if soemthing else is happening. If coccidiosis would be possible, that is treated with Corid in the water. Let us know if you need dosages.

Is she dry now? It might need to be closer to 80 until she is dry, and make sure they have a cooler spot to get to. Although her lethargy was due to being wet and cold, at this age coccidiosis can sometimes cause lethargy, loss of appetite, standing around hunched or puffed up, and runny poops with mucus or sometimes, blood. Once she is warm and taking some food, it may be more easily to tell if soemthing else is happening. If coccidiosis would be possible, that is treated with Corid in the water. Let us know if you need dosages.

She is dry now. No one else has coccidiosis symptoms, but that might not mean anything. I’ll go get some yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom