Very sick chicken on death bed.

I'm not saying she has worms, but I like to rule them out when I have a sick one

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm
Capillaria (Capillary or Thread Worms)
There are several species of Capillaria that occur in poultry. Capillaria annulata and Capillaria contorta occur in the crop and esophagus. These may cause thickening and inflammation of the mucosa, and occasionally severe losses are sustained in turkeys and game birds.
In the lower intestinal tract there may be several different species but usually Capillaria obsignata is the most prevalent. The life cycle of this parasite is direct. The adult worms may be embedded in the lining of the intestine. The eggs are laid and passed in the droppings. Following embryonation that takes six to eight days, the eggs are infective to any other poultry that may eat them. The most severe damage occurs within two weeks of infection. The parasites frequently produce severe inflammation and sometimes cause hemorrhage. Erosion of the intestinal lining may be extensive and result in death. These parasites may become a severe problem in deep litter houses. Reduced growth, egg production and fertility may result from heavy infections.
If present in large numbers, these parasites are usually easy to find at necropsy. Eggs may be difficult to find in droppings, due to the small size and time of infection.
Since treatment for capillaria is often lacking, control is best achieved by preventive measures. Some drugs, fed at low levels, may be of value in reducing the level of infection on problem farms. Game birds should be raised on wire to remove the threat of infection. As some species of capillaria have an indirect life cycle, control measures may have to be directed toward the intermediate host. Hygromycin and meldane may be used for control. Additional vitamin A may be of value. Effective treatments that are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration are fenbendazole and leviamisole.

I have emailed him but it is after hours here so hopefully he gets back to me soon. I would say her crop feels like a little water balloon. She could have something stuck in her neck I guess, but would this make the food come back up because it appears to be coming back up into her mouth.

I have wormed her against roundworm caecal work and hairworm the other week...I would need to get the other type then?

I have emailed him but it is after hours here so hopefully he gets back to me soon. I would say her crop feels like a little water balloon. She could have something stuck in her neck I guess, but would this make the food come back up because it appears to be coming back up into her mouth.
He should have looked at a sample from her throat under the scope to check for bacteria. Is she pooping? If she isn't pooping she might have an impaction, and that would be hard to deal with. Gently check the inside of her vent for a stuck egg.

-Kathy

If you press on her crop and food/water come out her mouth then her esophagus is clear. However, some capillary worms could cause in inflammation in the crop and esophagus. I'm just guessing and thinking out-loud.

-Kathy

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I love her dearly, she was an ex battery hen and she's never been quite right. Thanks again

I have nothing of value to add other than
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom