Very sick chicks. Pale face/comb. Can barely hold herself up

My catch all is some B12 and Naxcel or Pen G. I'd have to look up the dosage. They were given SubQ or IM. Then move the ailing animal, (chicken, goat, or rabbit) inside to a small crate in the warmest part of the house.

How long has she been off the Tylan? Did she ever perk up on it? Where are you keeping her now?

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. You seem like a wonderful caring chicken keeper. It's heartbreaking to have a potential loss this early on. Fingers crossed she'll hang in there long enough to fight this off.

If you don't have B12 some Karo syrup given orally can also be a perk them up. You only need a tiny amount (1/2 a drop or less) placed in the mouth. That's the only thing I give orally to a sick animal.

At this point you've gotten many suggestions and opinions. Now for the hard part. Sifting through them and deciding what's best for your girl. :hugs

Oh sweetie, it really could be cocci. Your baby might be having a GI bleed of some kind and cocci can do that. Dark, tarry stools are a sign of bleeding; the digested blood comes out like black tar in their poo. The pale combs/wattles and weakness are additional evidence that blood loss may be involved. Even though your other baby didn't test positive for cocci, this one's symptoms seem to point to it. Otherwise, this is a longshot, but is there any chance she could have gotten into rat poison that would thin her blood?
I would probably start her on Corid (amprolium) from the feed store. It's a coccidiostat. The bottle is pretty big because it is made for cattle, but there is a dosing chart somewhere on this site to convert for chooks.
Right now though, put one drop of straight NutriDrench right in her beak, no dilution. Hang in there and please keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers. <3
Thanks so much we will try that. We have some Corid here at home and will give it a try. I had them out free ranging the other day in my garden but I doubt there was rat poison. Maybe something else that caused a gi bleed. They just stopped Tylan yesterday after a 14 day course. Does cocci generally have this rapid onset? She was mostly fine a couple days ago and now I'm doubtful she can make it through the night. The weight loss seems potentially indicative of severe dehydration. I will look up tube feeding. We may just be too late. Thanks for all of the help and well wishes. Much appreciated

If you don't have B12 some Karo syrup given orally can also be a perk them up. You only need a tiny amount (1/2 a drop or less) placed in the mouth. That's the only thing I give orally to a sick animal.

At this point you've gotten many suggestions and opinions. Now for the hard part. Sifting through them and deciding what's best for your girl. :hugs
Thanks so much. I really appreciate your time and support. I had no idea chicks would be so difficult!

My catch all is some B12 and Naxcel or Pen G. I'd have to look up the dosage. They were given SubQ or IM. Then move the ailing animal, (chicken, goat, or rabbit) inside to a small crate in the warmest part of the house.

How long has she been off the Tylan? Did she ever perk up on it? Where are you keeping her now?

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this. You seem like a wonderful caring chicken keeper. It's heartbreaking to have a potential loss this early on. Fingers crossed she'll hang in there long enough to fight this off.

She's in our basement and has only been off the Tylan for about 1 day. It helped with the cold symptoms but whatever caused this acute illness came out of nowhere. I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks for your help!

Also if you feel comfortable and have the supplies, you can infuse fluids under her skin to help with rehydration. You need the sterile IV solution and administration set to do it, though. Yes, it is possible for cocci to present dramatically. Chickens are masters at hiding their illness, so by the time we notice they are ill, they are often really sick.
Hang in there!

I
Also if you feel comfortable and have the supplies, you can infuse fluids under her skin to help with rehydration. You need the sterile IV solution and administration set to do it, though. Yes, it is possible for cocci to present dramatically. Chickens are masters at hiding their illness, so by the time we notice they are ill, they are often really sick.
Hang in there!
I will look into that if she's makes it through the night. I didn't know I could infuse fluids under the skin. It's it the same normal saline solution used for humans? Thanks for all your help and support. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom