Very sick girl

jjared

Chirping
May 21, 2017
My 3 year-old hen was fine Sunday, then began sitting alone with her feathers fluffed out Monday. I brought her into the house and noticed a lot of poop around her vent, so I bathed her and kept her in a crate over night. She was eating and drinking fine at that time. She has steadily declined and at this point, hasn’t eaten for 3 days, won’t stand, sleeps nonstop, and won’t drink unless I make her. I’ve her in Epsom salts nightly, given her electrolytes, and poultry NutriDrench. She will not eat. She never pooped Monday, but did Tuesday in the bath (very foul smell), twice yesterday in her crate, and once today. During her bath tonight, I noticed some goo coming from her vent and something small that appeared to be white/black and chunky in what I assume is her sphincter. When I lightly touched it, she groaned and appeared to be in pain. I’ve attached a picture of her vent area (though what I described is no longer visible). I’m not holding out much hope for her recovery, but want to do all I can for her. Advice requested, please....
AE180A3F-5DA6-439D-86E7-E6FB56E3123A.jpeg

Update: I decided to squeeze the protrusion because it felt hard and “chunky” as I described earlier. After some manipulation (and a couple groans from Ruth), this came out. It is approximately 1-1/2 x 2 inches and is hard. What is it? She seemed relieved after its removal, but is still very sick. Looking for input.
04AAF618-A35D-499A-A444-08490DC3A756.jpeg

May well have been; sadly, she passed within 18 hours of the post. Thank you for your input.

Sorry for your loss.
I suspect she had internal laying from a split tube inside. That happens to production breeds a lot. I lost a new Red layer that way. I did a backyard necropsy to confirm the cause of her illness - and actually, she had some cooked eggs inside of her body cavity. No sign of parasites or anything otherwise weird, otherwise

In case it was Salpingitis affecting the reproductive system, a little yogurt in food may help balance their internal bacteria. Maybe a good idea to sanitize food and water containers, and add some ACV - i think for a week - to discourage the growth of unfriendly bacteria in water. Microbes are present - we can't defeat them all - the trick is to support their immune system - feed the friendly bacteria, and keep stress low. Also be sure their main feed is a good layer feed, with an extra calcium source available, as i assume you are already doing. You did all you could - and She lived longer than they usually do in the wild...if that is any comfort.

Back
Top Bottom