Very sick hen!!! VIDEO too

edoyle

Chirping
Jan 24, 2017
San Antonio, Texas

I noticed this hen hanging out by herself and sleeping a lot yesterday and today I found her in this condition!!! I gave her some tylan in the hopes of saving her if it’s a respiratory disease (though I’m not too certain she’s going to make it!!). She sounds horrible!! Any thoughts what it is so I can be proactive about the rest of the flock? They free range all day. I do have corid, safe guard, and ivomec on hand. I uploaded a video I hope you can see/hear. Thank you!

Last edited:

I noticed this hen hanging out by herself and sleeping a lot yesterday and today I found her in this condition!!! I gave her some tylan in the hopes of saving her if it’s a respiratory disease (though I’m not too certain she’s going to make it!!). She sounds horrible!! Any thoughts what it is so I can be proactive about the rest of the flock? They free range all day. I do have corid and ivomec on hand. I uploaded a video I hope you can see/hear. Thank you!
Get vetrx from your local TSC or other Farm Supply store. I would recommend that you either give her a few drops of the stuff in her mouth or rub it under her wings. Here's a picture of what it looks like
Amazon.com : VetRx Poultry Aid 2oz : Pet Supplies

I noticed this hen hanging out by herself and sleeping a lot yesterday and today I found her in this condition!!! I gave her some tylan in the hopes of saving her if it’s a respiratory disease (though I’m not too certain she’s going to make it!!). She sounds horrible!! Any thoughts what it is so I can be proactive about the rest of the flock? They free range all day. I do have corid, safe guard, and ivomec on hand. I uploaded a video I hope you can see/hear. Thank you!
Poor dear.
What's her crop like?
Feel her abdomen below the vent between the legs for swelling/fluid or bloat. Her stance to me looks like a hen that is suffering from reproductive problems and/or fluid in the abdomen (Ascites).

IF there's fluid in the abdomen, sometimes that can be drained to help give some short term relief. For how long it depends on the cause of the fluid (organ failure, reproductive disorder, etc.). Supportive care after draining may include trying a detox to help remove fluid (linked below), draining fluid periodically and antibiotics.

Addressing the crop symptoms while you address the other symptoms would also be good. Link provided as well.

What dose of Tylan are you giving?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/#post-20750855

one of my girls has had a secondary infection like this before, it does sound awful, it cleared up with doxycycline antibiotic, it took two days to take effect - you'd have to act quickly on getting access to it

Poor dear.
What's her crop like?
Feel her abdomen below the vent between the legs for swelling/fluid or bloat. Her stance to me looks like a hen that is suffering from reproductive problems and/or fluid in the abdomen (Ascites).

IF there's fluid in the abdomen, sometimes that can be drained to help give some short term relief. For how long it depends on the cause of the fluid (organ failure, reproductive disorder, etc.). Supportive care after draining may include trying a detox to help remove fluid (linked below), draining fluid periodically and antibiotics.

Addressing the crop symptoms while you address the other symptoms would also be good. Link provided as well.

What dose of Tylan are you giving?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...breath-if-you-hold-her.1284253/#post-20750855
Thank you Wyopr Rock! I don’t think I feel anything swollen or abnormal on her abdomen or anywhere else. Crop feels empty to me. She weighs 4.6lbs. I gave her .4 ml of tylan 200 (it’s all I have) orally. I made her some electrolyte water but she’s not interested. Poor thing 😭

Attachments

• 99D5976F-7124-4C93-AF0C-DB4FA0C01DAE.jpeg
    99D5976F-7124-4C93-AF0C-DB4FA0C01DAE.jpeg
    646.7 KB · Views: 4
I have not wormed my chickens yet this spring! 😬
Chickens can act legthargic for lots of things. For example, when they have lots of worms infested in them...
EDIT: I dont know if it would cause the odd noise though...
I've NEVER wormed my chickens and they seem fine. So I don't think you have to.
IT will actually kill chickens. I do it twice a year. Its definitely important, as it can cause them to have an infestation...thats when worms show up in their poop, or I have heard another symptom may be poop on eggs...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom