Very sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mebuff daisy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. mebuff daisy

mebuff daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    One of my partridge Rocks is very sick , She is very thin but will still eat. Her crop is small and hard , I do not know what to do ?
    She is 2 years old and is not wormed. She is feed a layer ration,grit and shell and BOSS,She was limping last winter but she seemed
    to get well,Can any one help ? I HATE IT when my hens are sick .[​IMG]

2. mebuff daisy

Jan 24, 2014
    Now she is worse , She just sits on her hunch's I do not know what to do

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I've no experience with it myself but the small hard crop makes me wonder if its impacted crop. Perhaps try doing a search on here for that and see if it sounds like it. Lots of how to treat impacted crop threads to get you started till someone with more experience chimes in.

Good luck!

4. love geese 101

love geese 101 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    I would guess that she has Mareks , but would have to see a picture to be sure. Does she walk at all ,are her wings limp?

5. mebuff daisy

Jan 24, 2014
    Today when I came to the coop I found her dead [​IMG] Whenever I think about her I cry.Think you for your advice, But my hens seem to get sick way to often , dos anyone know how do prevent sickness?

6. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    So sorry for your loss! It is traumatic to lose one of your pets. Some things can't be prevented but you can make sure that your babies have the cleanest conditions possible to prevent some things (mites, etc.) and apparently you should worm them regularly. Check them regularly for weight and appearance. Best of luck in the future.

7. mebuff daisy

Jan 24, 2014
    Thank you [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]It's always hard to lose a chicken.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss! [​IMG] It is always hard to lose a bird, especially when you don't know what was wrong.

As for preventing sickness, there is no 100% effective way. However, there are a few things you can do:

• Practice biosecurity. Basically, this means trying to prevent disease/parasites from entering your flock in the first place. Some biosecurity measures include: using disinfecting footbaths before entering your coop, never buying old birds, not trading equipment with other poultry owners, minimizing visitor contact with your flock, and quarantining all new birds for at least two weeks.
    • Strengthen your birds' immune systems by giving them vitamins in their water, supplementing them with probiotics, or trying another "natural" disease preventative, like garlic.
    • Keep your coop clean. Disease is less likely when coops are cleaned regularly and thoroughly.
    • Observe your chickens closely, so you can remove sick birds as soon as possible. Watch for slight lethargy, a change in laying, eating, or drinking habits, and any other unusual symptoms.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  10. love geese 101

love geese 101 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    So sorry you lost her[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by