VERY SICK ROCK------THIS IS CLOSED

penquin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
I want to thank everone for the help, my rock is on the way to recovery.

I have 5 rocks and one of them is getting lethargic and her comb is no longer red, it has turned a pale orange. I noticed at night when all the others are up in their roost that this one will not go up, she just roosts above the nests. Any ideas as to what it could be and how to take care of it?

she is a little over 10 months now, her crop feels fine, she eats, drinks, her vent is okay, not sure about her abdomen. She lays eggs the same size as the rest, and her poop is fairly dark green with white mixed in..I checked her poop and it seems fine, I guess you would call it kinda tubular but no worms.

New update, now she is staying away from the others. Will not eat and has blood coming from the top of her beack where it meets the skin.

Any help would be nice, thank you

Last edited:
Could be she is just getting picked on. What ever the cause she must be separated from the rest. If she is eating, drinking and laying and seems well after a few days of separation you may be able to put her back. But if she is sick she needs quarantine and if she is bloody the others may pick her raw. The paler comb may be a symptom something is wrong - but see if she eats and drinks when separated first. If you can, give her a heat lamp she can get under - be very careful with those lamps! but that she can get away from if needed. Just a little extra warmth often does wonders for a bird. A sick bird likes the heat to come from overhead. The lamp should be hung so that when your hand is at the level of the hens back when she is standing up it feels warm but doesn't get too hot you can't keep it there.

I am not a big fan of antibiotics, I think they often do more harm than good and are given when birds have viral diseases - which antibiotics cannot treat. She may need worming, but if she is in a weakened state that should wait a few days. She may also need to be treated for coccidiosis. Keeping her away from the other birds in a quiet warm place is the first step. Nature can heal a lot of things with a little help.

I have her separated from the others and a new thing now, her poo is black and florescent yellow, She is eating and ackting kinda like a chicken in a shower stall. The blood is a drop at the top of her beak where it comes to the skin, dont think she was being picked on.

Getting me scared now

That's a tough one. I think she's probably bleeding from her nose. Is she showing distressed breathing?
Did you get them all together, perhaps months ago, and no other new birds?
The paleness may mean that she's bleeding internally.
Sorry.

she seems to be breathing okay andn the blood is a drop that just stays there. I know this sounds weird and I guess it is. She doesn't feel bloated, I kinda squeezed her a little to see if she winced anyware and she doesn't.

New day and this morning she is having trouble breathing. If there is something I can give her please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom