very small hen

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Hi all,

Recently got five chickens from a local hatchery. The guy who sold them knew the breed of four, but not this little lady. Does anyone know what she might be? She is now maybe four months old and weighs less than a pound. She's very cute and sweet, but doesn't even look like a chicken to me! I'm including a photo of her perched on a child's shoulder and another next to a Faverolle and a Dominique that are probably the same age as her. Thanks for your help!

Thanks! After reading all the different listings of breeds, I was wondering if she might be an OEG. What's yours like? Mine is (so far) shy (but not skittish) and definitely the last in the pecking order. She is wonderfully camouflaged and is sometimes hard to spot since she always clings to the flock and is so tiny.

Thanks! After reading all the different listings of breeds, I was wondering if she might be an OEG. What's yours like? Mine is (so far) shy (but not skittish) and definitely the last in the pecking order. She is wonderfully camouflaged and is sometimes hard to spot since she always clings to the flock and is so tiny.
thats what i said mine is shy and at the bottom of the pecking order

oegb are a flighty breed that is good for free ranging. i hate having to try and catch my cockerel i free range during the day he doesn't come and when i feed him and try to catch him he is the first to jump back and run away then the rest follow him. he isn't top cockerel but he isn't last. my parents have a sweet little hen that will walk right up to you and you can pick her up and tote her around all day and she doesn't care while the 6 month old pullet they have is just as flighty as my cockerels are. it really does depend on the birds themselves and how much you handle them.

Thanks so much for your responses! It's great to know what kind of bird she is and what her personality might be like. Our birds are all gentle with each other, so even though "Ginger" is at the bottom of the pecking order, she doesn't seem picked on. She is wonderfully camouflaged (great since there are hawks in the neighborhood) and makes really cute sounds. I don't know what her eggs will be like since she hasn't started laying yet, but all the kids enjoy watching her.

Back
Top Bottom