Very Strange Deformity (Graphic Photo)

Redcatcher

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
At My Desk!
My incubator has performed flawlessly for years so I have no idea what is going on with it now. First I had a chick hatch minus a eye and a cross beak and now one just hatched with one of its legs INSIDE of its abdomen. Two of its toes (which look normal) protrude out of an opening in the skin next to the naval. I can post photos if anyone wants to see them but they are not for the faint heated. It looks like I will have to dispatch it but it will live for the time being since there is nothing terribly messy.

Last edited:
I found a good website when I typed in "trouble shooting failures with egg incubation" Some of the reasons they give for deformed and crippled chicks are: Improper incubation temps (usually too high) Low incubation humidity, Improper egg setting position or turning during incubation (turn 3 or more times a day and no turning during last 3 days) Heredity, and improper nutrition of parent birds. Sorry you are having so much trouble!
hugs.gif

I will post photos tomorrow. My theory is that the leg got caught in the yolk sac and got sucked into the body along with it. I attempted to pull the leg from the opening and the sac was right there. I will probably attempt some surgery as soon the sac is totally absorbed. It will never survive with the leg half in and half outside the body. One of my hens mostly incubated this one. It might not have gotten turned since I can see a "dry" area where it looked like it adhered to the inside of the shell.

EEEKK! that looks awful. Youre right to cull I think. Better to cull than to let it live a short life full of slow torment. Sorry to you for having to dispatch a baby. I doubt its the fault of the 'bator tho. Seems there is a certian percentage of mishaps and deformities in all living things. Sometimes its just a bad gene that shows up or a problem at hatch/birth. It happens to chickens, dogs, horses, even people. Part of life is differences and some of the differences are not compatible with a "normal" thriving life. If theres nothing you can do to save it or help it, the next best thing is to humanely and quickly end it. Good luck to you....

Its a cute little chick. But culling would be best, I've worked on farms and that is always the hardest part.. But when you have any kind of animal, pet or other. You've got to accept that culling is part of it.

Back
Top Bottom