Very Swollen Neck

Lacey1988

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Mississippi
I fed my NN yesterday morning and he ate with no problem but when I went to feed him again that afternoon this is what I found. Right under his wattles was a little larger then a golf ball sized lump and his neck was blood red....At first my mother and I assumed he ate too much wet food and it clogged in his neck so my mother massaged it a bit and it did help but its still swollen :( ...He drinks little water and barely eats

This is after my mother massaged it(this pic was taken today so it did help)
it was his whole neck

But on the other side it looks like this

Could it be a spider bite or what? I am at a loss :(

I fed my NN yesterday morning and he ate with no problem but when I went to feed him again that afternoon this is what I found. Right under his wattles was a little larger then a golf ball sized lump and his neck was blood red....At first my mother and I assumed he ate too much wet food and it clogged in his neck so my mother massaged it a bit and it did help but its still swollen :( ...He drinks little water and barely eats

This is after my mother massaged it(this pic was taken today so it did help)
it was his whole neck

But on the other side it looks like this

Could it be a spider bite or what? I am at a loss :(
Poor guy! bumping up

OH MY! That is big and red! Is it hot to the touch? Can you distinguish between the swelling and his throat/airway or is it just a generalized swelling of the whole area? Any sign of lice or mites (they can prefer the head, although all the resources say to check the vent for signs of infestation)? If it was a spider bite or abscessed puncture wound, there would be a scab or "sore" visible, no matter how insignificant looking- have you seen anything similar? It looks as if the swelling extends into his face as well- is that true?

If is of any consolation I had a chicken that was showing very similar symptoms.. I isolated her and after three days the swelling subsided... I thought she had been bitten by a mosquito or a wasp .....

I hope your Roo gets better soon!

Suzie

Back
Top Bottom