very swollen wattles -- infection?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
DH has been feeding/watering chickens for me for the last several days, so I'm not sure how quickly it happened. We've had several below-zero days, and this morning when I went down to the coop, I noticed that my BLRW roo had very swollen wattles. It also looks as if someone smeared black ink along the lower outside of his right wattle.

Is this frostbite + infection? What can I do for him?

One of my roosters is swollen too, he was normal yesterday but there was -31 degrees out last night despite them having a heat lamp in the coop and loads of straw. Should i bring him inside? The other 3 roosters are fine aswell as the hens and guineas and ducks.

Last edited:
It sounds like it could be frostbite from where the wattles get wet as they get a drink. I've had that happen to 2 of my roos. The ones with the biggest, most dangling wattles got frostbite right at the point where the wattle brushed the rim of the waterer. I'm really thinking of going to the 5 gal. bucket waterer with the poultry nipples. Sounds like it would be a win-win here, and to think of no more dirty water... that's just delightful! You might try putting vaseline on the wattles & combs to protect them from the cold & moisture.

HI there, I too have some frostbite issues on the waddles of the roosters. I'm hoping someone will chime in on what to do when they are swollen. I started mine on betadine twice a day with some neosporin also on the combs. Is there anything else that can be done for them?

My rooster has swollen waddles and black around the outside too, It was very cold the other night.
I'll try the vaseline & noesporin tonight, we broke 30 degrees outside today..........
lol.png

Any other suggestions if it gets worse............?

My roo got frostbite yesterday (-10 at 8 AM -- no clue what temp during the night). Same thing: black on the edges of the wattles, and his comb points are black/purple too. I'll do the Vaseline, but is there anything else to do? Does the frostbitten part eventually fall off or what?

Back
Top Bottom